Diamondbacks & Cubs Split, Man
RHP James Pugliese threw four innings of two-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts and Marco Hernandez and Wilson Contreras collected consecutive two-out RBI singles to cap a three-run 5th, leading one squad of Cubs to a 4-1 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Field #3, and Yosbel Gutierrez laced an inside-the-park two-run home run to spark the other squad of D’backs to a 5-3 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Stephen Drew (2011 broken ankle rehab) accounted for the Diamondbacks lone run on Field #3, with a line-drive RBI single to CF in the top of the 7th.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Sergio Burruel has been promoted to Peoria, and RHP Daniel Adrian, RHP Javier Castro, LHP Augusto Colina, RHP Jorge Diaz, RHP Loiger Padron, C Wilfredo Petit, and OF Kevin Encarnacion have been sent back to the Dominican Academy and will be asigned to one of the two Cubs affiliates in the Dominican Summer League (DSL Cubs #1 or DSL Cubs #2). DSL Opening Day is tomorrow.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games:
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-4, 3-1, 2B, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (BB, 3B, K, 1B, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, BB, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (BB, K, P-4, 3-U)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-4 (5-3, E-5, 3-U, F-7)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, BB, R)
8. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-8, 1B, F-8, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Justin Marra, DH: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 HR, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
2. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. C Neftali Rosario - E-2 (Catcher’s Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach- E-3 (throwing error on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-1 CS, 1 E - Catcher’s Interference (see above)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (3-1, K, 1-4 SH, 3-2 FC)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B:2-4 (1B, 1B, K, E-4)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 3-1, 1B, P-4, R, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (HBP, 4-3, 1B)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (L-3 DP, 2B, HBP, 2 R)
9. Jair Bogaerts, DH: 1-1 (1B, HBP, BB, R)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger - E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Agree -- I think you want to keep him on a regular schedule.
Ramos torn ACL
Sure, its not about his record.
Do you start him Sunday or not?
either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.
Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.
- 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?
The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.
That was Dee Gordon's only HR this year. Wow.
Thank you PHIL.
Glad you avoided temps in the 100s.
I remember you mentioning Dewees needng plenty of work in th IF. How are his OF instincts?
Hate to give the Mets credit, but they did everything right tonight in what had to be a very tough game for them to play. As Hollandsworth said on the Cubs post-game -- if you watched the game, you saw Mets players consoling Marlins players who were in tears during the game. Between that and the way Molina handled the Ross farewell -- maybe the Mets and Cardinal players aren't pure evil. Just the fans.