Diamondbacks & Cubs Split, Man
RHP James Pugliese threw four innings of two-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts and Marco Hernandez and Wilson Contreras collected consecutive two-out RBI singles to cap a three-run 5th, leading one squad of Cubs to a 4-1 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Field #3, and Yosbel Gutierrez laced an inside-the-park two-run home run to spark the other squad of D’backs to a 5-3 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Stephen Drew (2011 broken ankle rehab) accounted for the Diamondbacks lone run on Field #3, with a line-drive RBI single to CF in the top of the 7th.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Sergio Burruel has been promoted to Peoria, and RHP Daniel Adrian, RHP Javier Castro, LHP Augusto Colina, RHP Jorge Diaz, RHP Loiger Padron, C Wilfredo Petit, and OF Kevin Encarnacion have been sent back to the Dominican Academy and will be asigned to one of the two Cubs affiliates in the Dominican Summer League (DSL Cubs #1 or DSL Cubs #2). DSL Opening Day is tomorrow.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games:
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-4, 3-1, 2B, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (BB, 3B, K, 1B, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, BB, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (BB, K, P-4, 3-U)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-4 (5-3, E-5, 3-U, F-7)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, BB, R)
8. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-8, 1B, F-8, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Justin Marra, DH: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 HR, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
2. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. C Neftali Rosario - E-2 (Catcher’s Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach- E-3 (throwing error on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-1 CS, 1 E - Catcher’s Interference (see above)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (3-1, K, 1-4 SH, 3-2 FC)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B:2-4 (1B, 1B, K, E-4)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 3-1, 1B, P-4, R, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (HBP, 4-3, 1B)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (L-3 DP, 2B, HBP, 2 R)
9. Jair Bogaerts, DH: 1-1 (1B, HBP, BB, R)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger - E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Cards still haven't been punished for hacking, "unlikely" to happen before June draft. http://bit.ly/1U8sEYL
i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.
I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.
They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.
If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!
(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)
Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.
Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]