Diamondbacks & Cubs Split, Man
RHP James Pugliese threw four innings of two-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts and Marco Hernandez and Wilson Contreras collected consecutive two-out RBI singles to cap a three-run 5th, leading one squad of Cubs to a 4-1 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Field #3, and Yosbel Gutierrez laced an inside-the-park two-run home run to spark the other squad of D’backs to a 5-3 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Stephen Drew (2011 broken ankle rehab) accounted for the Diamondbacks lone run on Field #3, with a line-drive RBI single to CF in the top of the 7th.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Sergio Burruel has been promoted to Peoria, and RHP Daniel Adrian, RHP Javier Castro, LHP Augusto Colina, RHP Jorge Diaz, RHP Loiger Padron, C Wilfredo Petit, and OF Kevin Encarnacion have been sent back to the Dominican Academy and will be asigned to one of the two Cubs affiliates in the Dominican Summer League (DSL Cubs #1 or DSL Cubs #2). DSL Opening Day is tomorrow.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games:
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-4, 3-1, 2B, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (BB, 3B, K, 1B, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, BB, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (BB, K, P-4, 3-U)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-4 (5-3, E-5, 3-U, F-7)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, BB, R)
8. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-8, 1B, F-8, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Justin Marra, DH: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 HR, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
2. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. C Neftali Rosario - E-2 (Catcher’s Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach- E-3 (throwing error on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-1 CS, 1 E - Catcher’s Interference (see above)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (3-1, K, 1-4 SH, 3-2 FC)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B:2-4 (1B, 1B, K, E-4)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 3-1, 1B, P-4, R, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (HBP, 4-3, 1B)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (L-3 DP, 2B, HBP, 2 R)
9. Jair Bogaerts, DH: 1-1 (1B, HBP, BB, R)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger - E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.