Diamondbacks & Cubs Split, Man
RHP James Pugliese threw four innings of two-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts and Marco Hernandez and Wilson Contreras collected consecutive two-out RBI singles to cap a three-run 5th, leading one squad of Cubs to a 4-1 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Field #3, and Yosbel Gutierrez laced an inside-the-park two-run home run to spark the other squad of D’backs to a 5-3 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Stephen Drew (2011 broken ankle rehab) accounted for the Diamondbacks lone run on Field #3, with a line-drive RBI single to CF in the top of the 7th.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Sergio Burruel has been promoted to Peoria, and RHP Daniel Adrian, RHP Javier Castro, LHP Augusto Colina, RHP Jorge Diaz, RHP Loiger Padron, C Wilfredo Petit, and OF Kevin Encarnacion have been sent back to the Dominican Academy and will be asigned to one of the two Cubs affiliates in the Dominican Summer League (DSL Cubs #1 or DSL Cubs #2). DSL Opening Day is tomorrow.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games:
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-4, 3-1, 2B, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (BB, 3B, K, 1B, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, BB, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (BB, K, P-4, 3-U)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-4 (5-3, E-5, 3-U, F-7)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, BB, R)
8. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-8, 1B, F-8, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Justin Marra, DH: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 HR, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
2. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. C Neftali Rosario - E-2 (Catcher’s Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach- E-3 (throwing error on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-1 CS, 1 E - Catcher’s Interference (see above)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (3-1, K, 1-4 SH, 3-2 FC)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B:2-4 (1B, 1B, K, E-4)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 3-1, 1B, P-4, R, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (HBP, 4-3, 1B)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (L-3 DP, 2B, HBP, 2 R)
9. Jair Bogaerts, DH: 1-1 (1B, HBP, BB, R)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger - E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Hah which reminds me this is a good article about Ross:
"I'm pretty comfortable moving all over. I like it that way, too. It keeps me on my toes and ready each and every game.”--Bryant last week.
So it could be he's just saying the right things, but I believe him.
Which means if you shut this place down, and the Cubs go back to their old ways, we will all have to hunt you down, kidnap you, and strap you to a chair to listen to Tim McCarver and Joe Buck repeatedly, with dollops of Hawk Harrelson thrown in for good measure.
You got a problem with David Ross?
La Stella (3B) batting fifth. Could be the La Stella game.
[Drafts plans for CTSteve idol.]
Pitcher batting 9th. Bryant in left, Schwarber in right.
i'm not ready for it to end.
i'm not ready for "well, they weren't supposed to make it this year..."
i'm not ready to talk about the off-season yet.
I can relate to that, E-Man. I don't think I'll enjoy watching a high-stakes away game like this on TV. I've watched a lot of games this season after they ended or at least after the Cubs got out to a decent lead. Since they usually win, I've gotten to see a lot of baseball.
But in this case I think we should probably all watch the game live, and not let the pressure exceed the pleasure.
Remember, as I told my wife when our kids went off to college -- this is a good thing! Enjoy it!
Fully agree -- can't prove it. But, the numbers are what they are, and a lot of his OF games have come in Aug & Sept, when he has been killing the ball otherwise. And, knowing how baseball players love routine, it seems logical that it could at least be a a factor.
Really, really, really hope I'm wrong on this.
Indeed! It has been absolute blast -- from getting swept by the Phillies to sweeping the Giants, I have always enjoyed being part of this group. Hope we have a lot more games to talk about this year.
Yes, cheers to me! I've noticed a fairly strong correlation between my tenure and Cubbie victories.
And thanks to Michael for our new diggs--and to y'all for sticking around!
CHEERS to CT Steve for keeping this alive in 2015. Who would have thought that the season would have been so successful to this point? Thank you CT STEVE!
I think I may be too nervous to watch the entire game. I will probably watch in bits and pieces - and constantly check MLB App. I will be like Blockhead: Nervous Nellie.
You can't prove the performance is because he played the OF. You just can't. Sorry.
BTW, Bryant hit .168 in July playing 3B exclusively.
oh man, early on it seems like he made at least 1 stupid baserunning blunder per game and almost every single one turned into a positive for the cubs. it was magical.