Diamondbacks & Cubs Split, Man
RHP James Pugliese threw four innings of two-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts and Marco Hernandez and Wilson Contreras collected consecutive two-out RBI singles to cap a three-run 5th, leading one squad of Cubs to a 4-1 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Field #3, and Yosbel Gutierrez laced an inside-the-park two-run home run to spark the other squad of D’backs to a 5-3 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Stephen Drew (2011 broken ankle rehab) accounted for the Diamondbacks lone run on Field #3, with a line-drive RBI single to CF in the top of the 7th.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Sergio Burruel has been promoted to Peoria, and RHP Daniel Adrian, RHP Javier Castro, LHP Augusto Colina, RHP Jorge Diaz, RHP Loiger Padron, C Wilfredo Petit, and OF Kevin Encarnacion have been sent back to the Dominican Academy and will be asigned to one of the two Cubs affiliates in the Dominican Summer League (DSL Cubs #1 or DSL Cubs #2). DSL Opening Day is tomorrow.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games:
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (1B, L-4, 3-1, 2B, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (BB, 3B, K, 1B, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, BB, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (BB, K, P-4, 3-U)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-4 (5-3, E-5, 3-U, F-7)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, BB, R)
8. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-8, 1B, F-8, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Justin Marra, DH: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 HR, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
2. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. C Neftali Rosario - E-2 (Catcher’s Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach- E-3 (throwing error on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-1 CS, 1 E - Catcher’s Interference (see above)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (3-1, K, 1-4 SH, 3-2 FC)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B:2-4 (1B, 1B, K, E-4)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 3-1, 1B, P-4, R, RBI)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (HBP, 4-3, 1B)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (L-3 DP, 2B, HBP, 2 R)
9. Jair Bogaerts, DH: 1-1 (1B, HBP, BB, R)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
3B Dustin Geiger - E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Check this: If the Cubs just play .500 until the end of the season, from today on May 6th, they are at 89 wins.
How we would have drooled for that in 2010.
Carrie Muskat [email protected]
Shane Victorino added to Iowa #Cubs roster today
The awesome quote was something like "Just gotta play a little country hardball..."
It was awesome. I envisioned him in snake-skin boots, Stetson, and a lump of dip in his lip with his Texas gun strapped to his hip.
Listening to an interview with Lackey on WSCR - he sounds a bit like a gruff Fozzie Bear
FWIW -- Lackey was the only RH batter to get a hit off of Scherzer. KB and Baez were 0-for-6 with 6Ks. Gotta love lefty/righty balance, and switch-hitters.
Somebody needs to explain to Richard the concept of run differential. Dammit, this was a tough one to absorb.
In the same vein, I hope we can now dispense with "LaStella sucks as a starter".
They just wanted to get Rondon a save is why they gave up those runs. Madden is a genius that way....
15 games over .500...not a bad place to be on may 6th.
Brian Schlitter moments aside - what a sweet win!
this ump...at least he seems consistently shitty.
c.richard with another outing making him look expendable...
hey may be a righty, but f.pena put in another strong night last night...2ip 0h 1bb 3k
last thing the club seems to need is another reliever, though. the cubs starters keep putting lack-of-work pressure on the pen more than anything so far.
Good thing Bryant can play multiple positions. If he was only a 3B he'd be frustrated sitting.
I think it might have been just the push he needed.
I believe +411 by the '39 Yankees is the all-time record.
From now on maybe there's no point keeping score of the game, just track the run differential.