Angels Victory a Saturday in the Park
Trey Martin singled twice, walked, stole two bases, drove-in a run and scored another, Dong Yub Kim singled and doubled and knocked-in two runs, and Danny Lockhart and Justin Marra belted back-to-back RBI triples, but it wasn’t enough as the Angels scored five runs in the top of the 2nd inning and cruised to a 9-5 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
20-year old South African RHP Tayler Scott (Cubs 2011 5th round pick out of Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, AZ) had his third rough outing in a row, allowing five runs on seven hits (including a double and a triple) and a walk without retiring a batter in the top of the 2nd inning, after a five-pitch 1-2-3 top of the 1st inning.
While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, RHPs Su-Min Jung (control issues), David Cales (2011 shoulder surgery rehab), and Arturo Maltos-Garcia (July 2011 TJS rehab) faced-off in a three-inning “sim” game on Field #2, with Cub position players who were not in the starting lineup on Field #3 providing the opposition.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, 1B, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-4 (F-9, P-5, 1B, P-2)
3a. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (F-9)
3b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (2-3, 3B, K, R, RBI)
4a. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-2 (K-WP, 1B, SB)
4b. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (3B, K, RBI)
5a. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, K)
5b. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
6. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (3-U, L-5, 1-3, 2B)
7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-4 (F-7, 4-3, P-6, F-8)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-4 (K, 6-3, K, F-9)
9. Dustin Geiger, DH #1: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, 6-3, R)
10a. Garrett Schlecht, DH #2: 0-1 (P-5, BB, R)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU THE BATTING ORDER
11b. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #3: 2-2 (2B, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
1. Tayler Scott: 1.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 37 pitches (20 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 2nd inning was stopped with bases loaded and no outs after Scott threw his 32nd pitch of the inning
2. Matt Spencer: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 1 K, 45 pitches (21 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 4th inning was stopped with one out and bases loaded after Spencer reached his max pitch limit
3. Alvido Jimenez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 35 pitches (24 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 BALK, 28 pitches (16 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
P Bryce Shafer - E-1 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Justin Marra: 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures 100+
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.