Cubs Shoot Blanks at Talking Stick
Four Rockies pitchers combined to toss a six-hit shutout, as the Cubs were blanked 3-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-4 (K, P-5, F-7, 1-3)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, P-5)
2b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 5-3, F-7, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, F-7, F-8)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, F-9)
6a. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, L-4 DP, K)
6b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-2 (E-1, BB, P-4)
9. Danny Lockhart, DH-3B: 0-3 (P-3, 4-6 FC, P-6)
10a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-9, 3-6 FC)
10b. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-1 (3B)
1. Ian Dickson: 4.0 IP, 4 H. 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 60 pitches (42 strikes), 5/3 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Sorry, how are the Cubs getting a pick out of this?
Besides what he adds to the Cubs bullpen, getting Aroldis Chapman means the Giants and Nationals (and Indians) can't get him, and that could be important come the post-season.
When the opponent knows Chapman is out there ready to pitch in the 9th, it can cause the other team to alter their strategy and play things differently than they otherwise might prefer to play things in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings.
thats a lot for 2-3 months....beyond Torres it's a lot of organizational depth, but hate to use your best prospect for a rental.
chap's a FA after this season. 2-3 months of chapman and a sandwich pick after the 1st round (stay healthy chap) seems to be the "worst" outcome, but damn they're giving up a hell of a piece in torres.
i don't care that torres is blocked...i just think something more valuable/controlled can come from trading away a guy like him.
"According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Cubs will not have a contract extension in place with Aroldis Chapman when their trade for the closer becomes official."
Per Patrick Mooney, it's SS Gleyber Torres, RHP Adam Warren, RF Billy McKinney, and CF Rashad Crawford for Aroldis Chapman
That is a hell of a lot if they don't get an extention done. I'm assuming Chapman is going to be the closer with Rondon in the 8th and Strop in the 7th. That sounds great but Rondon #s aren't as good in non-save situations so we'll see how he responds to being the setup man.
I certainly hope he signed an extension. I would have been ok with this package for Miller, it is too much for 2 (well 3, hopefully) of Chapman. Of course, we win the World Series, I will retract this immediately.
@JonHeyman: Yanks and Cubs have a deal. Torres, mckinney, Warren and likely 1 more to NYY.
Rumor McKinney part of package
I would rather have Ian Happ at second.
that is a hell of a lot of talent to shift for a reliever who's gonna get paid top-scale "free agent" type money in 2017+ after a 1/2 year rental for the remainder of 2016.
Cubs are going to need a 2nd baseman of the future. I'm still not convinced Baez can be that offensively on an everyday basis.
Updating: Per @Joelsherman1, #Cubs-#Yankees trade, if completed, would be Chapman for Torres, Warren and likely two others.
Can only imagine they'd only give that much up if he's signing an extension.
The official police report on Chapman:
You can draw your own conclusions.
Where is he going to play for the Cubs?