Cubs Shoot Blanks at Talking Stick
Four Rockies pitchers combined to toss a six-hit shutout, as the Cubs were blanked 3-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-4 (K, P-5, F-7, 1-3)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, P-5)
2b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 5-3, F-7, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, F-7, F-8)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, F-9)
6a. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, L-4 DP, K)
6b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-2 (E-1, BB, P-4)
9. Danny Lockhart, DH-3B: 0-3 (P-3, 4-6 FC, P-6)
10a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-9, 3-6 FC)
10b. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-1 (3B)
1. Ian Dickson: 4.0 IP, 4 H. 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 60 pitches (42 strikes), 5/3 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Phil, historically this front office has been patient with their prep pitchers keeping their IP low and moving them one level at a time. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, and you may not be able to formulate an opinion on this, but you've seen a lot of pitchers over the years, so...
also, after tonight's loss, STL is 13-14.
also also, the wsox are 19-8.
Win tomorrow, and the Cubs would have a 6-game lead. On May 4.
Fully agree on Addy -- hope he is our SS for a long time. I'm just surprised he has 4 errors already -- the last 2 on routine plays.
Guess how many Carlos Correa has?
I would still rather have Russell, right now, than any shortstop the team has had in many years. The future is bright enough to wear shades.
EDIT: Gonzo WOULD have been my favorite, 'cepting a certain error of a double-play ball...
Hi Phil, made it home tonight safely. Looks like Cease is getting better each outing. I see Crow did ok today too. I will be reading your write_ups everyday. Great seeing you while there!
tomorrow's game is a 12:35pm EST game for some ungodly stupid reason...then it's back to wrigley field for a night game on the 5th.
The best part of tonight's game was 6 different players with RBIs. Truly a lineup that doesn't give up top to bottom.
excubs [email protected]_NEWS
Jake Arrieta first Cub to go 6-0 in first six starts since Three Finger Brown in 1908.
Russell now with 4 errors -- that's a big (unpleasant) surprise.
Throwing error to 2nd on a possible double play ball.
Can someone tell me what happened on Russell's error?
BILLY BUCKS: As things stand right now, Dylan Cease will be in the Eugene starting rotation when the NWL season begins play in June, and if he peforms well there he could perhaps move up to South Bend toward the end of the minor league season or for the MWL playoffs (if South Bend qualifies).
i'm more "wtf?" about him hitting 2nd than playing LF...especially since zobrist exists.