Cubs Shoot Blanks at Talking Stick
Four Rockies pitchers combined to toss a six-hit shutout, as the Cubs were blanked 3-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-4 (K, P-5, F-7, 1-3)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, P-5)
2b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 5-3, F-7, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, F-7, F-8)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, F-9)
6a. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, L-4 DP, K)
6b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-2 (E-1, BB, P-4)
9. Danny Lockhart, DH-3B: 0-3 (P-3, 4-6 FC, P-6)
10a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-9, 3-6 FC)
10b. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-1 (3B)
1. Ian Dickson: 4.0 IP, 4 H. 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 60 pitches (42 strikes), 5/3 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"An MRI taken Monday on the right side of Jorge Soler showed no major damage."
Agree -- I think you want to keep him on a regular schedule.
Ramos torn ACL
Sure, its not about his record.
Do you start him Sunday or not?
either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.
Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.
- 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?
The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.
With a big lead, Chapman was throwing sliders and changeups, something he's reluctant to do in a save situation. (Len and Jim covered this.)
Maybe they have a bad owner, I don't know, but they still have players and fans and a franchise, all devastated by this loss of life. Plus, everybody who follows baseball is a fan of a guy like this. It's why I used the word tragedy, which other people throw around but I try to be careful with.
I'm at an age where I remember old incidents better than recent ones, but I have to go back to Herb Score for something as disturbing.
That was Dee Gordon's only HR this year. Wow.