Cubs Shoot Blanks at Talking Stick
Four Rockies pitchers combined to toss a six-hit shutout, as the Cubs were blanked 3-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-4 (K, P-5, F-7, 1-3)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, P-5)
2b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 5-3, F-7, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, F-7, F-8)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, F-9)
6a. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, L-4 DP, K)
6b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-2 (E-1, BB, P-4)
9. Danny Lockhart, DH-3B: 0-3 (P-3, 4-6 FC, P-6)
10a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-9, 3-6 FC)
10b. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-1 (3B)
1. Ian Dickson: 4.0 IP, 4 H. 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 60 pitches (42 strikes), 5/3 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Ben Zobrist is very enjoyable to watch!!!!!!
given that he seems to only be throwing low 90s these days rather than the 93-96mph he used to throw, along with his wildness issues this year, he may end up passing through.
i dunno if something is wrong with him physically or his past shoulder issues has rendered him what he currently is, but he's been throwing a lot of sliders he can't control well and his fastball isn't as sharp. even when his slider wasn't working in a game he was still throwing a lot of them.
Any scuttlebutt on where Neil Ramirez gets traded?
He seems better than some of the relievers on competitive teams. He ought to bring more than the waiver fee.
My guess? Toronto.
PHIL: It seems as if Paniagua has always played 1B with the Cubs. At 6'2 and 180#, what is his frame like? String bean? Have you seen him bulk up? Where do you project him? Thanks.
Phil, what's your thoughts on which position players are going to Eugene and who is staying in AZL?
Ahhh...way to bring me down BB.
Still - a win tomorrow will be an acheivement regardless.
Don't mean to spoil your mood, but with tonight's win the are 3-5 on the trip with one to play.
While I'm bringing the room down -- Richard comes in to pitch the 9th with a 12-1 lead...and can't finish the game. Woof.
For some reason
It is remarkable how my mood has become uplifted with one game against the Cards.
That is sick.
But, I have been an addict for a long time.
A W tomorrow and it will be a .500 road trip.
Also, to keep the losses in perspective, if the Cubs were to lose 10 games a month - a lot at this current pace - they still end up 102-60. Six months of the ride!
So, the Mesa Cubs should be solid this summer in the AZL Rookie League?
And, I like the, "But did you know" lead in there. Something a little different.
I can tell really like this group of hitters in AZ right now.
What pitchers out there, other than Cease, should we be excited about?
Thanks as always for the info.
back on the Run Differential hunt... (aka The Hunt for Blue October)
These are the 2016 Cubs I know and love. Also digging that Cardinals OF (lack of) defense.
Another day, another eight runs
I'm not sure there was another team in baseball that would flip a Dansby Swanson type of prospect (plus Inciarte, plus Toussaint) for Miller. That trade was just comically bad from the start, and getting worse...
Zobrist just keeps squaring up - and Soler goes yard!
Pirates jumping all over Shelby Miller tonight - so glad the Cubs didn't flip a Dansby Swanson type prospect to the Braves for him. Two years of Lackey looking like a good alternative.