Cubs Shoot Blanks at Talking Stick
Four Rockies pitchers combined to toss a six-hit shutout, as the Cubs were blanked 3-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-4 (K, P-5, F-7, 1-3)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, P-5)
2b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 5-3, F-7, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, F-7, F-8)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, F-9)
6a. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, L-4 DP, K)
6b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-2 (E-1, BB, P-4)
9. Danny Lockhart, DH-3B: 0-3 (P-3, 4-6 FC, P-6)
10a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-9, 3-6 FC)
10b. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-1 (3B)
1. Ian Dickson: 4.0 IP, 4 H. 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 60 pitches (42 strikes), 5/3 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.
Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.
I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.
The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.