Trey Heureux at Fitch Park
Trey Martin ripped two doubles and a home run, drove-in two runs, and scored three, and James Pugliese threw four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts, leading the Cubs to an 8-2 victory over the Reds in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Over his last four EXST appearances, Pugliese has thrown 14.2 consecutive scoreless innings, allowing ten hits and four walks, with 15 strikeouts.
1B Rock Shoulders gave-up switch-hitting this week and is now hitting only left-handed. He never could find a power-stroke from the right side, and as long as he can at least hold his own when facing LHP, it is probably better that he hit only LH. (He struck out against the two left-handers he faced today, however).
With Shoulders having given up switch-hitting, 3B Jeimer Candelario and SS Marco Hernandez are now the only switch-hitters among Cubs position players presently at Extended Spring Training. (2B Brian Inoa gave-up switch-hitting at Minor League Camp).
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (P-5, K, 5-3, BB, P-6, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, 4-U FC, BB, P-4)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (K, BB, 6-4 FC, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (K, K, F-7, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, DH #2: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, BB, K, RBI, PO)
6. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 0-3 (F-7, 6-5 FC, BB, F-8, 2 R)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 2B, 2B, HR, 3 R, 2 RBI)
8a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8b. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-1 (1B, HBP, R, 2 RBI)
9a. Justin Marra, C-DH: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, 5-3, RBI, SB)
9b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-1 (K)
10. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, P-5, BB)
11. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (BB, L-8, 1-3, 1B, RBI)
12a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
12b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (1B, HBP, K, R)
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 3 H. 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (37 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ramon Garcia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (17 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 31 pitches (18 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
2. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Eduardo Gonzalez threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.