Trey Heureux at Fitch Park
Trey Martin ripped two doubles and a home run, drove-in two runs, and scored three, and James Pugliese threw four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts, leading the Cubs to an 8-2 victory over the Reds in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Over his last four EXST appearances, Pugliese has thrown 14.2 consecutive scoreless innings, allowing ten hits and four walks, with 15 strikeouts.
1B Rock Shoulders gave-up switch-hitting this week and is now hitting only left-handed. He never could find a power-stroke from the right side, and as long as he can at least hold his own when facing LHP, it is probably better that he hit only LH. (He struck out against the two left-handers he faced today, however).
With Shoulders having given up switch-hitting, 3B Jeimer Candelario and SS Marco Hernandez are now the only switch-hitters among Cubs position players presently at Extended Spring Training. (2B Brian Inoa gave-up switch-hitting at Minor League Camp).
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (P-5, K, 5-3, BB, P-6, SB)
2. Marco Hernandez, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, 4-U FC, BB, P-4)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (K, BB, 6-4 FC, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (K, K, F-7, 1B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, DH #2: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, BB, K, RBI, PO)
6. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 0-3 (F-7, 6-5 FC, BB, F-8, 2 R)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 2B, 2B, HR, 3 R, 2 RBI)
8a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8b. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-1 (1B, HBP, R, 2 RBI)
9a. Justin Marra, C-DH: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, 5-3, RBI, SB)
9b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-1 (K)
10. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, P-5, BB)
11. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (BB, L-8, 1-3, 1B, RBI)
12a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
12b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (1B, HBP, K, R)
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 3 H. 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 54 pitches (37 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. Ramon Garcia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (17 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 31 pitches (18 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
2. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Eduardo Gonzalez threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!
(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)
Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.
cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/
HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.
M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores) the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.
Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).
AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.