Sunday Funnies: I wonder if the Yankees are scouting Cubs pitching in New York?

(Click to see gif)

Come on.
The Cubs are playing the Mets today.
Ryan Dempster is on the mound for the first time since his lat thing.
The Yankees say they want to lower their payroll by 2014, but with Andy Pettitte out with the ankle fracture and CC Sabathia with the groin and missing maybe a couple three more starts...
It's a simple limo ride for Brian Cashman.
Or...the subway for any of his scouts.
Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer's expected wheeling and dealing has to start some time, right?
I know it's still early but THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Comments

All GM's are starting to look alike. If he wasn't wearing a METS cap, I'd think he was from Kansas City or Toronto...

Nice "Funny"...

Thru 4 innings, he looks very, very available. =)

I guess I missed the part where he's the Futures Game rep for the Cubs. Seems like an odd choice, he doesn't exactly project as an All-Star at this point.

"[Ha] doesn't exactly project . . ."

His coaches seem to praise him to the skies. Two examples:

Tennessee coach Brian Harper on Ha last year: "He's amazing. He's one of the best center fielders that I've ever seen."

Cub first-base coach Dave McKay on Ha in ST this year: "I saw a guy who has a chance to be a great outfielder. . . . After spending a short time with him, I thought, 'Here's a guy you're going to see a lot of down the road.'"

People mainly praise his defense, but that is still pretty interesting to me, since I don't recall a coach or a manager referring to another Cub prospect as great defensively. As for the internet scouts, I don't think they see a player often enough to judge that aspect of his game.

... and not including his dinger yesterday, Ha still has one more HR on the season than the Cubs current starter in CF (Da Jesus). He's got that going for him, at least.

all hands on deck...

Maholm starts the 6th relieving Dempster's solid and shutout start.

5 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 0 BB, 0 R, 63 pitches, 45 strikes.

Also, he now has the longest Cubs scoreless innings streak since Ken Holtzman.

Theoretically (Theo-retically), if Dempster left the Cubs before his next start, then came back next year, would his innings streak continue?

3-Run HR -- nice way to head to the All-Star break

the counter roster move to activate Dempster...Voldemort back to Iowa

Lord Voldemort left a small bit of himself in a mystery Cub pitcher.

Will be interesting to see how Theo runs this trade operation.

Look forward to the gamesmanship and what he gets in return.

• I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 1 hour 34 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 38 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

billybucks 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 6 sec ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 3 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 2 hours 9 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 5 hours 53 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.

John Beasley 5 hours 55 min ago view
  • Lackey finishes with a 3.35 ERA. Currently good for 13th in the NL. Not bad for a guy signed to be a #3 starter in a 15-team league.

He is also 6th in WHIP. Pretty amazing: Cubs have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 starters in WHIP.

• Completely meaningless game, but Pena striking out Sean the Turd to with the bases loaded was very fun.

Other than one bad game in SD, Pena has been very good. Even with that game, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 0.89 WHIP.

• 101 wins...most since 1910 (104).

neat. ...or sad. pick one. pick both. 'murica.

• Just looked up Grimm's stats -- after a great run, he gave up 2 runs vs. MIL then didn't pitch for 10 days. Don't remember why?

• Sean Rodriguez's helmet looks like it's taking a dump

jacos 13 hours 16 min ago view
  • Grimm not doing himself any favors lately re: making the playoff squad. Seems to have lost the feel for his curveball.

• j.grimm is literally worse than hitler.

felix pena, your turn.