Sunday Funnies: I wonder if the Yankees are scouting Cubs pitching in New York?

(Click to see gif)

Come on.
The Cubs are playing the Mets today.
Ryan Dempster is on the mound for the first time since his lat thing.
The Yankees say they want to lower their payroll by 2014, but with Andy Pettitte out with the ankle fracture and CC Sabathia with the groin and missing maybe a couple three more starts...
It's a simple limo ride for Brian Cashman.
Or...the subway for any of his scouts.
Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer's expected wheeling and dealing has to start some time, right?
I know it's still early but THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Comments

All GM's are starting to look alike. If he wasn't wearing a METS cap, I'd think he was from Kansas City or Toronto...

Nice "Funny"...

Thru 4 innings, he looks very, very available. =)

I guess I missed the part where he's the Futures Game rep for the Cubs. Seems like an odd choice, he doesn't exactly project as an All-Star at this point.

"[Ha] doesn't exactly project . . ."

His coaches seem to praise him to the skies. Two examples:

Tennessee coach Brian Harper on Ha last year: "He's amazing. He's one of the best center fielders that I've ever seen."

Cub first-base coach Dave McKay on Ha in ST this year: "I saw a guy who has a chance to be a great outfielder. . . . After spending a short time with him, I thought, 'Here's a guy you're going to see a lot of down the road.'"

People mainly praise his defense, but that is still pretty interesting to me, since I don't recall a coach or a manager referring to another Cub prospect as great defensively. As for the internet scouts, I don't think they see a player often enough to judge that aspect of his game.

... and not including his dinger yesterday, Ha still has one more HR on the season than the Cubs current starter in CF (Da Jesus). He's got that going for him, at least.

all hands on deck...

Maholm starts the 6th relieving Dempster's solid and shutout start.

5 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 0 BB, 0 R, 63 pitches, 45 strikes.

Also, he now has the longest Cubs scoreless innings streak since Ken Holtzman.

Theoretically (Theo-retically), if Dempster left the Cubs before his next start, then came back next year, would his innings streak continue?

3-Run HR -- nice way to head to the All-Star break

the counter roster move to activate Dempster...Voldemort back to Iowa

Lord Voldemort left a small bit of himself in a mystery Cub pitcher.

Will be interesting to see how Theo runs this trade operation.

Look forward to the gamesmanship and what he gets in return.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

The E-Man 1 hour 3 min ago view
  • Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 3 hours 8 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 3 hours 36 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 11 hours 5 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view