Sunday Funnies: I wonder if the Yankees are scouting Cubs pitching in New York?

(Click to see gif)

Come on.
The Cubs are playing the Mets today.
Ryan Dempster is on the mound for the first time since his lat thing.
The Yankees say they want to lower their payroll by 2014, but with Andy Pettitte out with the ankle fracture and CC Sabathia with the groin and missing maybe a couple three more starts...
It's a simple limo ride for Brian Cashman.
Or...the subway for any of his scouts.
Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer's expected wheeling and dealing has to start some time, right?
I know it's still early but THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Comments

All GM's are starting to look alike. If he wasn't wearing a METS cap, I'd think he was from Kansas City or Toronto...

Nice "Funny"...

Thru 4 innings, he looks very, very available. =)

I guess I missed the part where he's the Futures Game rep for the Cubs. Seems like an odd choice, he doesn't exactly project as an All-Star at this point.

"[Ha] doesn't exactly project . . ."

His coaches seem to praise him to the skies. Two examples:

Tennessee coach Brian Harper on Ha last year: "He's amazing. He's one of the best center fielders that I've ever seen."

Cub first-base coach Dave McKay on Ha in ST this year: "I saw a guy who has a chance to be a great outfielder. . . . After spending a short time with him, I thought, 'Here's a guy you're going to see a lot of down the road.'"

People mainly praise his defense, but that is still pretty interesting to me, since I don't recall a coach or a manager referring to another Cub prospect as great defensively. As for the internet scouts, I don't think they see a player often enough to judge that aspect of his game.

... and not including his dinger yesterday, Ha still has one more HR on the season than the Cubs current starter in CF (Da Jesus). He's got that going for him, at least.

all hands on deck...

Maholm starts the 6th relieving Dempster's solid and shutout start.

5 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 0 BB, 0 R, 63 pitches, 45 strikes.

Also, he now has the longest Cubs scoreless innings streak since Ken Holtzman.

Theoretically (Theo-retically), if Dempster left the Cubs before his next start, then came back next year, would his innings streak continue?

3-Run HR -- nice way to head to the All-Star break

the counter roster move to activate Dempster...Voldemort back to Iowa

Lord Voldemort left a small bit of himself in a mystery Cub pitcher.

Will be interesting to see how Theo runs this trade operation.

Look forward to the gamesmanship and what he gets in return.

• trevor clifton (high-A) could be interesting in a couple seasons...could even become a high/middle rotation guy. he's got a lot of pluses in his pitching except control.

eric leal's (high-A) progression through the minors should be worth watching even if only projects to be an mid/end-rotation starter.

we also gotta keep a long-distance eye on guys like jose paulino (ss-A) and preston morrison (A).

• As Johnny Bach used to say when it was time for the MJ Bulls to crank up the defensive pressure: "Release the Dobermans!", and Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Harper would just suffocate the other team.

I'd love to add Carl Jr. to that group - he's got the stuff.

• Historically, the Moneyball guys have been great at identifying productive hitters. Not so much with pitchers.

• Wow - Pierce Johnson with an ERA of 8.01 in 42IP!

What a stud prospect! Must be pitching with a pierced johnson.

Looks like Ryan Williams is the only legit prospect there. That is sad...

• Well it would seem that's all they need now. "Stropy" can have his moments, but he's been more consistent post-asg.

• Take THAT, Cardinals -- you beat Fernandez, we beat Sale.

I really like Lackey as a 6-inning pitcher.

• Three amigos? Because the Dominican, the Venezuelan, and the Cuban?

Maybe the three-headed dragon?

John Beasley 4 hours 30 min ago view
  • Who says Contreras can't frame? Stone cold robbery of Eaton with that called third strike for the first out in the eighth

Eric S 5 hours 1 min ago view
  • Three amigos time?

7-8-9th

jacos 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • he should hit more of those. that would be an ideal outcome. /moneyballs

• Russell with 19 RBI in July so far. Grand Slams help.

• ...and Familia with back-to-back blown saves. Blows a one-run lead vs. Rockies today, gets his 2nd consecutive loss.

I am OK with the Mets missing the playoffs and suffering crushing losses at home --- just want them to beat St. Louis.

He played with fire twice agains the Cubs -- unfortunately, the Cubs couldn't stop swinging.

• How about Kyle Farnsworth? I know he was consistently upper 90s.

videographer 12 hours 12 min ago view
  • If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic

jacos 14 hours 13 sec ago view
  • I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.

• I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.