Sunday Funnies: I wonder if the Yankees are scouting Cubs pitching in New York?

(Click to see gif)

Come on.
The Cubs are playing the Mets today.
Ryan Dempster is on the mound for the first time since his lat thing.
The Yankees say they want to lower their payroll by 2014, but with Andy Pettitte out with the ankle fracture and CC Sabathia with the groin and missing maybe a couple three more starts...
It's a simple limo ride for Brian Cashman.
Or...the subway for any of his scouts.
Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer's expected wheeling and dealing has to start some time, right?
I know it's still early but THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Comments

All GM's are starting to look alike. If he wasn't wearing a METS cap, I'd think he was from Kansas City or Toronto...

Nice "Funny"...

Thru 4 innings, he looks very, very available. =)

I guess I missed the part where he's the Futures Game rep for the Cubs. Seems like an odd choice, he doesn't exactly project as an All-Star at this point.

"[Ha] doesn't exactly project . . ."

His coaches seem to praise him to the skies. Two examples:

Tennessee coach Brian Harper on Ha last year: "He's amazing. He's one of the best center fielders that I've ever seen."

Cub first-base coach Dave McKay on Ha in ST this year: "I saw a guy who has a chance to be a great outfielder. . . . After spending a short time with him, I thought, 'Here's a guy you're going to see a lot of down the road.'"

People mainly praise his defense, but that is still pretty interesting to me, since I don't recall a coach or a manager referring to another Cub prospect as great defensively. As for the internet scouts, I don't think they see a player often enough to judge that aspect of his game.

... and not including his dinger yesterday, Ha still has one more HR on the season than the Cubs current starter in CF (Da Jesus). He's got that going for him, at least.

all hands on deck...

Maholm starts the 6th relieving Dempster's solid and shutout start.

5 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 0 BB, 0 R, 63 pitches, 45 strikes.

Also, he now has the longest Cubs scoreless innings streak since Ken Holtzman.

Theoretically (Theo-retically), if Dempster left the Cubs before his next start, then came back next year, would his innings streak continue?

3-Run HR -- nice way to head to the All-Star break

the counter roster move to activate Dempster...Voldemort back to Iowa

Lord Voldemort left a small bit of himself in a mystery Cub pitcher.

Will be interesting to see how Theo runs this trade operation.

Look forward to the gamesmanship and what he gets in return.

• LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 32 min 3 sec ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 11 hours 4 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 11 hours 12 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.

• He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.