Who was the Cubs 2008 MVP?

Comments

I went with Dempster, but it's very close. In my book, Soto or DeRosa you could make almost an equally strong argument for.

Dempster was the staff ace, so I gave it to him. Our rotation looks MUCH worse without him.

Soto and DeRosa were very very good. I would give the edge to Soto over them, because he plays a tougher position.

All 3 vastly exceeded our pre-season expectations.

Since when is exceeding expectations the same as the MVP?

It is amazing how few votes ARam is getting.

Where is this pitching staff without Geo? Blanco is great don't get me wrong, but he's a PT player at this point.

Aram is probably the best producer this season, but I just can't get past how valuable Soto's handling of the pitching staff is and how inspiring his breakout on offense is at one of the most difficult positions to find offense.

According to BP - with the one caveat that I threw out Dempster's batting numbers because BP does that wrong for pitchers (I guess another email is coming) here's the Batting/Pitching, baserunning and fielding Runs Above Replacement (as in a AAAA guy) for the candidates:

Dempster 82
DeRosa 76
Soto 60
Ramirez 57
Theriot 45
Marmol 36

Marmol obviously would look better in an evaluation that takes in leverage like BP's silly named stat or Win Probability Added. Oh, what the hell I am bored, lets look at WPA:

Marmol 3.77
Ramirez 3.31
Dempster 2.37 (-1.17 due to batting)
Lee 1.81
DeRosa 1.80
Harden 1.65
Edmonds 1.63
Soriano 1.41
Soto .95
Theriot -.22

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I feel the Cubs got what they expected from Soto this year - average in the 280s, 20ish HR power, good game-calling. I know he's a rook but it's not like he came out of nowhere in Spring Training.

The only Cubs (IMO) that performed beyond anyone's wildest expectations this year were Dempster and some of the role players (Fontenot, the scrap-heap CF platoon).

I voted for Aramis because, considering his offense and defense, he was the most irreplaceable guy on the team, therefore the most valuable. IMO.

No they weren't. I really don't understand someone saying Geo Soto VASTLY exceeded expectations. ON the contrary, he just about perfectly met them-- batting average, power, defense and handling pitchers. Expectations were high. And he came through.

PECOTA's 50% forecast for Soto was .275 .353 .477. He actually hit .285 .364 .504, so in that sense he exceeded expectations. Was anyone surprised that he had a .868 OPS? Probably not, except maybe Manny because he came up as a Cubs farmhand.

There are no MVPs this year. This year was a year of failure. They all lose in my book. I call no MVPs until we at least make it to the NLCS.

Also Hendry deal is official (sorry if 3/44). 4 more years. I don't mind that Hendry will be with us another 4 years--he seems to be learning from his mistakes--but I'm not looking forward to seeing Manny's sig and hearing his endless griping over the next 4 years.

I went with Soto. Our offenses improvement from last year to this year because we went from the worst production in the NL at C to top 3 if not the best in the NL. Also he handled the pitching staff well for a rookie.

I think this is a race between Aram and Marmol. If you took Aram off the team, how many less wins would we have? His walkoff HRs (two?) are obvious, but Marmol had several holds that, in my opinion, if you look at the rest of the bullpen, would have been losses. If you take Marmol off this team, you could easily turn 1/3 of his holds into losses the way the rest of the bullpen threw.

• if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.

#Bernie130orBust

• I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.

VirginiaPhil 8 hours 31 min ago view
  • They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.

John Beasley 9 hours 45 min ago view
  • If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!

(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)

Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.

Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 52 min ago view
  • RIP Zoobrest.

• He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

• Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 16 hours 45 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

• HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 20 hours 15 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 20 hours 17 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 20 hours 27 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 1 day 1 hour ago view