The Last Heel Click

Ron Santo, HOF. Bittersweet, yet hasn't that been the Cub way in Ronnie's life?

Vicki Santo, Ron's wife,  in her acceptance speech today for Ronnie at the Cooperstown Hall of Fame ceremonies:

God, how he loved the Cubs and Cubs fans. He would be so grateful you came here today to share this with him.

And in his legacy, let it be known that here's a man who obtained the highest honor his sport can give while playing with an insidious disease. He was an inspiration, and he will continue to be an inspiration.

Thank you to Cub fans for being his friends, for being his family and for always being there for him. You will never know how much that meant to him. Thank you all from my heart for being here today for Ron. I look at his plaque here in Cooperstown, and I think you will all agree, it just feels right as a perfect ending to his remarkable journey.

I couldn't help of thinking of Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life," when the angel Clarence says, "Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" Ron never needed that lesson, but Ron left an awful hole for so many of us here today.

I always think of how Clarence enscribed that copy of "Tom Sawyer" that George Bailey holds at the end of the movie. "Remember George, no man is a failure who has friends."

Well, I don't know of anyone who had more friends than Ron Santo. This is not a sad day. This is a great day. Celebrate for Ron. Celebrate with us and celebrate with him. Because I am certain of few thing, but I am certain that Ronnie is celebrating with us right now.

Celebrate his journey. Celebrate his cause. Celebrate an amazing life. Celebrate Ron Santo's life. He truly had a wonderful life.

Hold back any sadness. Embrace the great memories. How does one celebrate? With a  collective heel click.

WGN will broadcast the entire ceremony on WGN radio after today's game and on WGN-TV at 9:30pm CST.

UPDATE/Rob G: Tim/CubbyBlue sent this along, didn't get a chance to post it until now.

(Click on the image for a full size version)

I thought Vicki's speech was quite touching and am glad she didn't go the bitter route, instead focusing that this is a great day that he got in, not a sad day because Ronnie wasn't there. And mostly highlighting his struggles with diabetes and his ongoing work with the JDRF fund.

Comments

didnt know the players did that...classy.

Nice touch from the players. Good for Ronnie. I still miss his color on the radio.

I miss him as a person, and one of my all-time favorite Cubs.

As a broadcaster, he was pretty bad the last 4-5 years, not knowing who was pitching or playing sometimes.

I just got the strangest phone alert. Something about how Sveum and the rest of the team dressed up as superheroes for the flight back.

after getting smacked down 23-1 for a sweep-loss in the series i hope not...

Yep, it happened.

Padilla has some pictures:

The other beat guys and gal have them too.

soto really mailed it in...boo hiss etc.

Baker and Johnson as Theo and Hoyer. Solid.

With the wig, Johnson looked more like "Charlie" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Vitters had a 3 run HR in top of the 8th (#15, 2-4, .304) but Lose-stad gave up 6 runs and De La Cruz gave up 3 in the bottom of the 8th. Iowa loses 9-5 to the Isotopes.

The 2nd day of the Soler-ERA has started with a bang...

AZ Cubs lead 3-1, bottom 5th, over the Reds.
2 Run, 2 out HR from Solar in the 4th.
Vogelbach also with a 2 out rbi.
Lendy Castillo pitched 4 shutout innings, gave up a run in the 5th. No walks, 5 K's.

Box score link:

z.rosscup (AA) pitched 3ip in relief... 3ip 1h 1bb 5k (0r)

t.mcnutt (AA) also put in 1ip 2h 2bb 0k (2er) in relief...so far his relief experience is 1 good outing to 3 bad ones.

also, the volstad "wtf dude tour" continues in AAA... 5ip 9h 1bb 3k (5er)

I was watching Ron in college before players even wore batting gloves. Does anyone know if Ron used a Rawlings baseball glove or a Wilson baseball glove? I want to see if I can find an old model online.

Man the spammers are getting smarter. I'm pretty impressed actually.

Wilson A2000

Aparicio hawked those on TV--so I bought one.

"I like the Wilson A2000. There's lots of room to catch that ball."

(With a Venezuelan accent, of course.)

For around $200, still one of the best gloves for the money. If you take care of it, re-lace it, it will last for years.

mike ripley strikes again.

don't dare give this asshat anything...it won't turn out well for you.

• vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 10 hours 2 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

• More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 10 hours 50 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 13 hours 17 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 13 hours 29 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 13 hours 32 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 35 min ago view
  • Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"

He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.

Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 43 min ago view
  • Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.

Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.

• Arizona Phil 17 hours 7 min ago view