The Last Heel Click

Ron Santo, HOF. Bittersweet, yet hasn't that been the Cub way in Ronnie's life?

Vicki Santo, Ron's wife,  in her acceptance speech today for Ronnie at the Cooperstown Hall of Fame ceremonies:

God, how he loved the Cubs and Cubs fans. He would be so grateful you came here today to share this with him.

And in his legacy, let it be known that here's a man who obtained the highest honor his sport can give while playing with an insidious disease. He was an inspiration, and he will continue to be an inspiration.

Thank you to Cub fans for being his friends, for being his family and for always being there for him. You will never know how much that meant to him. Thank you all from my heart for being here today for Ron. I look at his plaque here in Cooperstown, and I think you will all agree, it just feels right as a perfect ending to his remarkable journey.

I couldn't help of thinking of Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life," when the angel Clarence says, "Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" Ron never needed that lesson, but Ron left an awful hole for so many of us here today.

I always think of how Clarence enscribed that copy of "Tom Sawyer" that George Bailey holds at the end of the movie. "Remember George, no man is a failure who has friends."

Well, I don't know of anyone who had more friends than Ron Santo. This is not a sad day. This is a great day. Celebrate for Ron. Celebrate with us and celebrate with him. Because I am certain of few thing, but I am certain that Ronnie is celebrating with us right now.

Celebrate his journey. Celebrate his cause. Celebrate an amazing life. Celebrate Ron Santo's life. He truly had a wonderful life.

Hold back any sadness. Embrace the great memories. How does one celebrate? With a  collective heel click.

WGN will broadcast the entire ceremony on WGN radio after today's game and on WGN-TV at 9:30pm CST.

UPDATE/Rob G: Tim/CubbyBlue sent this along, didn't get a chance to post it until now.

(Click on the image for a full size version)

I thought Vicki's speech was quite touching and am glad she didn't go the bitter route, instead focusing that this is a great day that he got in, not a sad day because Ronnie wasn't there. And mostly highlighting his struggles with diabetes and his ongoing work with the JDRF fund.

Comments

didnt know the players did that...classy.

Nice touch from the players. Good for Ronnie. I still miss his color on the radio.

I miss him as a person, and one of my all-time favorite Cubs.

As a broadcaster, he was pretty bad the last 4-5 years, not knowing who was pitching or playing sometimes.

I just got the strangest phone alert. Something about how Sveum and the rest of the team dressed up as superheroes for the flight back.

after getting smacked down 23-1 for a sweep-loss in the series i hope not...

Yep, it happened.

Padilla has some pictures:

The other beat guys and gal have them too.

soto really mailed it in...boo hiss etc.

Baker and Johnson as Theo and Hoyer. Solid.

With the wig, Johnson looked more like "Charlie" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Vitters had a 3 run HR in top of the 8th (#15, 2-4, .304) but Lose-stad gave up 6 runs and De La Cruz gave up 3 in the bottom of the 8th. Iowa loses 9-5 to the Isotopes.

The 2nd day of the Soler-ERA has started with a bang...

AZ Cubs lead 3-1, bottom 5th, over the Reds.
2 Run, 2 out HR from Solar in the 4th.
Vogelbach also with a 2 out rbi.
Lendy Castillo pitched 4 shutout innings, gave up a run in the 5th. No walks, 5 K's.

Box score link:

z.rosscup (AA) pitched 3ip in relief... 3ip 1h 1bb 5k (0r)

t.mcnutt (AA) also put in 1ip 2h 2bb 0k (2er) in relief...so far his relief experience is 1 good outing to 3 bad ones.

also, the volstad "wtf dude tour" continues in AAA... 5ip 9h 1bb 3k (5er)

I was watching Ron in college before players even wore batting gloves. Does anyone know if Ron used a Rawlings baseball glove or a Wilson baseball glove? I want to see if I can find an old model online.

Man the spammers are getting smarter. I'm pretty impressed actually.

Wilson A2000

Aparicio hawked those on TV--so I bought one.

"I like the Wilson A2000. There's lots of room to catch that ball."

(With a Venezuelan accent, of course.)

For around $200, still one of the best gloves for the money. If you take care of it, re-lace it, it will last for years.

mike ripley strikes again.

don't dare give this asshat anything...it won't turn out well for you.

• First Cub victory at home this year for me!
    1-3
    Saw all four starters this year

jacos 1 hour 21 min ago view
  • RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

• Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

• Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

• lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 11 hours 48 min ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 15 hours 36 min ago view
  • boston pitching snags a couple of mlb team records...

"Over nine innings of play, Boston's staff struck out 11 straight Tampa Bay Rays hitters Sunday, breaking the major-league record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game.

The previous record was held by former New York Mets right-hander Tom Seaver, who struck out 10 straight hitters in 1970.

Not only that, but with a strikeout to end the ninth, sending the game into extras, Boston's staff also struck out an MLB-record 21 batters over nine innings."

crunch 16 hours 55 sec ago view
  • What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.

• Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...

• crunch 20 hours 10 min ago view
  • Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.

Eric S 1 day 3 min ago view