Tony Campana Designated for Assignment
The 32-year old Hairston signed a two-year contract that will reportedly pay him $6M ($5M guaranteed plus another $1M in potential perfoemance bonuses).
Because he was an Article XX-B MLB FA post-2012, Hairston will have automatic "no trade" rights through June 15th. He can waive this right, but if he does, he can be traded for cash and/or player contracts with a maximum aggregate value of $50,000.
The Cubs 13th round draft pick out of the U. of Cincinnati in 2008, Campana hit 262/306/300 with 54 SB (5 CS) in 184 MLB games over the previous two seasons (2011-12), and is considered to be one of the fastest players in MLB. He will be 27 in May.
A reminder about how the DFA process will work with regard to Tony Campana:
1. The Cubs have ten days to either trade, release, or send Campana outright to the minors. (He cannot be returned to the 40-man roster because he was replaced on the 40 by another player).
2. Outright Assignment Waivers must be secured by the 10th day, so Campana can be placed on waivers no later than next Monday (2/18), and thus the Cubs will have until 2 PM (Eastern) on Monday 2/18 to trade Campana because the "waiver ride" takes two business days (actually it takes 47 hours, including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays during Spring Training and the regular season, not including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays during the off-season). So in this case, the Cubs only have eight days to trade Campana, not ten.
3. The Houston Astros have first priority on Outright Waiver claims at this time. (The previous season's standings are used to determine waiver claim priority during off-season, Spring Training, and up through the first 30 days of the MLB regular season, then the standings as of the morning the players clears waivers are used beginning on the 31st day of the regular season). Whether it is an American League team or National League team making a waiver claim does not matter EXCEPT for Trade Assignment Waivers (required to trade players on the 40-man roster beginning on August 1st up through the conclusion of the MLB regular season), where clubs in the waived player's own league get first priority over clubs in the other league, even if the club in the other league has a worse record than the club in the player's own league.
4. Campana CANNOT elect to be a free-agent if outrighted because he has not accrued at least three years of MLB Servicve Time, he is not a "Super Two" player, and he has not been outrighted previously in his career. He would not be eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 minor league free-agent (6YFA) until post-2014, although he would be eligible for selection in the December 2013 Rule 5 Draft if he is not added back to an MLB 40-man roster in the meantime.
5. If waivers are secured and Campana is outrighted to the minors and then is added back to the Cubs MLB 40-man roster prior to the conclusion of the 2013 MLB regular season, he would burn a minor league option (he presently has two left), even though he was outrighted (not optioned) to the minors. (No minor league option would be spent if he is outrighted to the minors and then is added back to the 40-man roster AFTER the conclusion of the 2013 MLB regular season)
Even though this is the best time of the year to sneak a player through waivers (because most MLB 40-man rosters are full), I think it's fairly likely that Campana will get claimed. I believe the Cubs would have had a much better chance of getting Ian Stewart through waivers (as they did with Blake DeWitt and Manny Corpas about this time last year) than will be the case with Campana.
I believe Campana could have value to a lot of MLB clubs as a "5th outfielder" (pinch-runner & late-inning defensive replacement), so it's possible that the Cubs will be able to trade him to another club before he has to be put on waivers, in exchange for a "second-tier" type prospect who is not on the other club's 40-man roster.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed
how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
by making bad decisions...