Shoulders Rocks Baker at Fitch Park
Rock Shoulders homered, singled and walked, and Garrett Schlecht ripped a two-out two-run double and walked, in a Minor League Camp intra-squad game played this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Because the Cubs had a day off from their MLB Cactus League schedule, Carlos Villanueva and Scott Baker traveled a half-mile down Center Street to Fitch Park and were the starting pitchers in the game. Villanueva threw three shutout innings (46 pitches - 29 strikes) and struck out five, and Baker allowed one run on four hits (the Shoulders HR the only run) in his three innings of work (36 pitches - 25 strikes).
Baker threw strikes but didn't fool the kids, however this was just his first actual game action (not including "sim" games) since having Tommy John Surgery on his elbow last April.
Barret Loux (who is technically still on the Cubs MLB Spring Training roster) made the trip to Fitch with Villanueva and Baker and threw a couple of innings, although he was not effective, allowing three runs on five hits and a HBP in 2.0 IP.
Rob Whitenack (optioned to AA Tennessee yesterday) had control issues in his two innings of work (31 pitches - only 14 strikes, with three walks). He also allowed two hits and commited a throwing error on a pick-off attempt.
William Hill (2012 NDFA - Chicago State) and Bobby Buckner (2012 NDFA Texas A&M - Corpus Cristi) played in the game. Hill is the grandson of Cub great Billy Williams, and Buckner is the son of ex-Cub (and current Boise Hitting Coach) Bill Buckner.
Here is the unofficial box score:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1a. Taiwan Easterling, CF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-4 FC)
1b. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 0-2 (F-8, F-8)
2a. David Bote, 2B: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B, R)
2b. Steve Bruno, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
3a. Paul Hoilman, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
3b. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-1 (F-8)
4a. Tim Torres, SS: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
4b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-1 (1B, R)
5a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (2B, K, 6-4-3 DP)
5b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-1 (1B)
6a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, R)
6b. John Andreoli, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
7a. Bobby Buckner, RF: 1-3 (K, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, R)
7b. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
8a. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 1-2 (K+WP, 2B, BB, 2 RBI)
8b, Ben Carhart, PH: 0-1 (F-9)
9a. Michael Brenly, C: 0-2 (P-4, HBP, 1-3)
9b. Chad Noble, C: 0-1 (6-3)
SQUAD ”B” LINEUP:
1a. Evan Crawford, CF: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, 6-4-3 DP)
1b. Albert Almora, CF: 1-1 (2B)
2a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (P-3, 3-1, BB)
2b. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-1 (K)
3a. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-2 (HR, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
3b. Justin Bour, 1B: 0-1 (K)
4a. Eliecer Bonne, RF: 1-3 (1B, K, 6-3, 2 SB)
4b. Trey Martin, RF: 1-1 (2B)
5a. Dustin Harrington, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3)
5b. Tim Saunders, 3B: 0-2 (F-8, L-9 DP)
6a. Anthony Giansanti, DH: 0-1 (P-4, BB)
6b. Yasiel Balaguert, PH-DH: 0-2 (F-7, E-6)
7a. William Hill, LF: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
7b. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
8b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-1 (BB, 1B)
9a. Micah Gibbs, C: 1-2 (3-U, 1B)
9b. Jair Fernandez, C: 0-2 (5-4-3 DP, K)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Scott Baker: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Rob Whitenack: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 31 pitches (14 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Kevin Rhoderick: 2.0 IP, 1 H,. 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Marcus Hatley: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Villanueva: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 46 pitches (29 strikes) 2/3 GO/FO
2. Barret Loux: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 36 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Jason Berken: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (22 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
4. Jay Jackson: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Jackson’s second inning was terminated ("Roll it!") with two outs and a runner at 1st base after he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day.
SQUAD “A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Rob Whitenack - E-1 - errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base.
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 - throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Brenly: 0-2 CS
SQUAD " A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. LF Dong-Yub Kim threw out Rock Shoulders 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
NOTE: DY Kim suffered a torn labrum in his right shoulder in 2009 and never was able to rehab it, so he learned to throw LH at Extended Spring Training last year
2. RF Rubi Silva made a spectacular diving catch and then doubled Trey Martin off 2nd base 9-6
3. LF John Andreoli threw out Yasiel Balaguert 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on a single to left.
WEATHER Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
should Theo add some Ted Abernathy videos for minor league pitching coordinator's use?
Pieters is tall and rangy , a "long-strider" in the same mold as Trey Martin and Rashad Crawford. He is a very patient hitter (unusual for a hitter with his lack of experience) and has an outstanding (almost uncanny) eye at the plate, and he is a fast runner with unusually good baserunning instincts, and he is a good basestealer, too.
Cuzzi has long been known as having the biggest strike zone among all umpires.
AZ Phil, give me a scouting report on Chris Pieters since he has become a 1B/OF.
But, whatever. Umps are going to miss calls. Let's beat up on the non-Lackey starters.
Watched a little of Mets-Dodgers.
Jason deGrom -- oh, my.
Cubs 3-4-5 hitters are 0-21 so far in the post-season.
Let's change that in a big effin' way tomorrow, boys.
Rizzo and Bryant need to have good at bats. They are really looking outclassed in these two games.
that game sounds fun as hell.