Shoulders Rocks Baker at Fitch Park
Rock Shoulders homered, singled and walked, and Garrett Schlecht ripped a two-out two-run double and walked, in a Minor League Camp intra-squad game played this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Because the Cubs had a day off from their MLB Cactus League schedule, Carlos Villanueva and Scott Baker traveled a half-mile down Center Street to Fitch Park and were the starting pitchers in the game. Villanueva threw three shutout innings (46 pitches - 29 strikes) and struck out five, and Baker allowed one run on four hits (the Shoulders HR the only run) in his three innings of work (36 pitches - 25 strikes).
Baker threw strikes but didn't fool the kids, however this was just his first actual game action (not including "sim" games) since having Tommy John Surgery on his elbow last April.
Barret Loux (who is technically still on the Cubs MLB Spring Training roster) made the trip to Fitch with Villanueva and Baker and threw a couple of innings, although he was not effective, allowing three runs on five hits and a HBP in 2.0 IP.
Rob Whitenack (optioned to AA Tennessee yesterday) had control issues in his two innings of work (31 pitches - only 14 strikes, with three walks). He also allowed two hits and commited a throwing error on a pick-off attempt.
William Hill (2012 NDFA - Chicago State) and Bobby Buckner (2012 NDFA Texas A&M - Corpus Cristi) played in the game. Hill is the grandson of Cub great Billy Williams, and Buckner is the son of ex-Cub (and current Boise Hitting Coach) Bill Buckner.
Here is the unofficial box score:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1a. Taiwan Easterling, CF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-4 FC)
1b. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 0-2 (F-8, F-8)
2a. David Bote, 2B: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B, R)
2b. Steve Bruno, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
3a. Paul Hoilman, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
3b. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-1 (F-8)
4a. Tim Torres, SS: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
4b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-1 (1B, R)
5a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (2B, K, 6-4-3 DP)
5b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-1 (1B)
6a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, R)
6b. John Andreoli, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
7a. Bobby Buckner, RF: 1-3 (K, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, R)
7b. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
8a. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 1-2 (K+WP, 2B, BB, 2 RBI)
8b, Ben Carhart, PH: 0-1 (F-9)
9a. Michael Brenly, C: 0-2 (P-4, HBP, 1-3)
9b. Chad Noble, C: 0-1 (6-3)
SQUAD ”B” LINEUP:
1a. Evan Crawford, CF: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, 6-4-3 DP)
1b. Albert Almora, CF: 1-1 (2B)
2a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (P-3, 3-1, BB)
2b. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-1 (K)
3a. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-2 (HR, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
3b. Justin Bour, 1B: 0-1 (K)
4a. Eliecer Bonne, RF: 1-3 (1B, K, 6-3, 2 SB)
4b. Trey Martin, RF: 1-1 (2B)
5a. Dustin Harrington, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3)
5b. Tim Saunders, 3B: 0-2 (F-8, L-9 DP)
6a. Anthony Giansanti, DH: 0-1 (P-4, BB)
6b. Yasiel Balaguert, PH-DH: 0-2 (F-7, E-6)
7a. William Hill, LF: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
7b. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
8b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-1 (BB, 1B)
9a. Micah Gibbs, C: 1-2 (3-U, 1B)
9b. Jair Fernandez, C: 0-2 (5-4-3 DP, K)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Scott Baker: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Rob Whitenack: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 31 pitches (14 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Kevin Rhoderick: 2.0 IP, 1 H,. 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Marcus Hatley: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Villanueva: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 46 pitches (29 strikes) 2/3 GO/FO
2. Barret Loux: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 36 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Jason Berken: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (22 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
4. Jay Jackson: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Jackson’s second inning was terminated ("Roll it!") with two outs and a runner at 1st base after he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day.
SQUAD “A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Rob Whitenack - E-1 - errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base.
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 - throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Brenly: 0-2 CS
SQUAD " A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. LF Dong-Yub Kim threw out Rock Shoulders 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
NOTE: DY Kim suffered a torn labrum in his right shoulder in 2009 and never was able to rehab it, so he learned to throw LH at Extended Spring Training last year
2. RF Rubi Silva made a spectacular diving catch and then doubled Trey Martin off 2nd base 9-6
3. LF John Andreoli threw out Yasiel Balaguert 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on a single to left.
WEATHER Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
I'm longing for a Neifi sighting.
if you have stable/fast internet you can stream with and you don't mind giving up $20 a month check out "sling tv".
TBS, TNT, ESPN 1+2, etc...100% legal.
68 pitches (50 strikes)
love seeing that...especially with the batters doing very little with it.
Yeah, keep him off the playoff roster.
Or, he's looked exactly like Ted Williams.
Lately he hasn't looked like Ted Williams...
Bryant leads NL rookies in HRs (26), RBIs (99), 2B (31) and runs (86). Last rookie to reach 26 HR, 99 RBI, 31 2bs, 86 runs and 74 BBs?
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales 4m4 minutes ago
Boston’s Ted Williams in 1939
Probably going to a bar/restaurant with TBS. Cord-cutting is so over-rated.
Thanks for the update on Underwood.
I'll take that omen instead...
"oh yeah, and get the fuck off my lawn. :D"
Ok, now that was funny. :)