Saturday Funnies: Sveum's quote on Almora's hamate

Like most Cub Fans, I had a mild heart attack when I first heard about Albert Almora's hamate thing.
Anything in the hand or wrist is usually a nightmare and I immediately thought of Derrek Lee.
But I read about Almora and the hamate bone here at TCR, saw the videos, was kinda relieved.
Then I read Dale Sveum's quote and (I never do these shorthands, but here goes) LMAO.
If I'm a passenger and my plane is going down, I want Sveum to be the pilot.
If I'm wearing a Hawks hat in St. Louis I want him next to me.
If I'm a director trying to find the next Bruce Willis, I'd cast Dale Sveum.

I'd get him to write the dialogue, too.

Comments

j.baez with 2hr today (only in the 5th)...his 2nd was a -monster- blast (off an offspeed pitch, not a fastball).

4 HRs in his last 5 ABs - the fifth one was a warning track shot.

castro better start taking IF practice at 2nd sometime soon...

Baez should start taking more IF practice at 3b now.

the Sun Times article on the Almora Hamate fx with Sveum quotes...

"Obviously, it's not a career problem, more of a pain-in-the-butt type thing that happens to quite a few hitters over the history of the game,'' manager Dale Sveum said. "It's just that little bone that doesn't mean anything or you don't need.

"It'll cost him eight weeks before he gets in a game. The good thing is it's one of those things you take out and are done with it.

• Yup. Thanks Q

The E-Man 2 min 5 sec ago view
  • QuietMan 10 min 3 sec ago view
  • I for one hope that Sosa comes back soon.

Rob Richardson 29 min 12 sec ago view
  • O/B interesting you should mention that. Google ESPN Science Aroldis Chapman and you'll be treated to how his mechanics and delivery are possibly historic. It's the 120% of his body stretch plus the torque. They compare him to the Unit and NRyan.

The E-Man 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • Amazing how much lower the production gets when Bryant runs into a mini-cold streak. He doesn't stay cold for long. If just one of Zobrist or, gulp, Heyward, gets hot, they oughta have one more really nice winning streak in them. Having a closer that you have absolute confidence in can't hurt.

Old and Blue 1 hour 51 min ago view
  • I hope they hold onto Jimenez. Outfield depth is questionable, especially with McKinney, who struggled this year but still, gone.

• You don't think he's improved? He looks completely different out there than he did when he first came up. The last I checked his K rate was in the low 20% range - 22-23 or so. When he came up it was 40%+.

To me, what is scary about him if I'm the other guy is that he IS learning the strike zone. This guy could easily be the MVP someday.

• So, playing .500 for the rest of the year puts them at 91 wins. You would think there is enough talent to do a little better than that, right?

• First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!

• I. Hate. The. Mets.

• OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.

Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.

• Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....

• If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!

• I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.

• Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...

• Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff

Eric S 11 hours 55 min ago view