Saturday Funnies: Sveum's quote on Almora's hamate

Like most Cub Fans, I had a mild heart attack when I first heard about Albert Almora's hamate thing.
Anything in the hand or wrist is usually a nightmare and I immediately thought of Derrek Lee.
But I read about Almora and the hamate bone here at TCR, saw the videos, was kinda relieved.
Then I read Dale Sveum's quote and (I never do these shorthands, but here goes) LMAO.
If I'm a passenger and my plane is going down, I want Sveum to be the pilot.
If I'm wearing a Hawks hat in St. Louis I want him next to me.
If I'm a director trying to find the next Bruce Willis, I'd cast Dale Sveum.

I'd get him to write the dialogue, too.

Comments

j.baez with 2hr today (only in the 5th)...his 2nd was a -monster- blast (off an offspeed pitch, not a fastball).

4 HRs in his last 5 ABs - the fifth one was a warning track shot.

castro better start taking IF practice at 2nd sometime soon...

Baez should start taking more IF practice at 3b now.

the Sun Times article on the Almora Hamate fx with Sveum quotes...

"Obviously, it's not a career problem, more of a pain-in-the-butt type thing that happens to quite a few hitters over the history of the game,'' manager Dale Sveum said. "It's just that little bone that doesn't mean anything or you don't need.

"It'll cost him eight weeks before he gets in a game. The good thing is it's one of those things you take out and are done with it.

• ^^^#WARTruther

Rob G. 2 min 46 sec ago view
  • "According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, Tim Tebow's baseball workout Tuesday in Los Angeles will be attended by scouts from "roughly half" of the 30 major league teams."

"One scout told ESPN.com last week that Tebow's swing is so long it might "take out the front row." That's not a good thing."

• MyrtleBeachPelicans [email protected]

The #MBpelicans and @Cubs have extended their PDC through 2020!
    ----
    Carolina League getting 2 new teams too.

QuietMan 2 hours 52 min ago view
  • CF WAR is ridiculous...billy hamilton is pulling a 3.0 WAR somehow...and managed a 2.0 WAR last year (even though he missed a month of the season)...and a 3.7 WAR in 2014.

yeah, a lot depends on how one is doing relative to others at a given position, but WAR is common used (right or wrong) as a blanket comparing all kinds of players.

trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo.

• Rob G. 3 hours 31 min ago view
  • Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo

jacos 6 hours 4 min ago view
  • 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 20 hours 35 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 21 hours 3 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.