Saturday Funnies: Sveum's quote on Almora's hamate

Like most Cub Fans, I had a mild heart attack when I first heard about Albert Almora's hamate thing.
Anything in the hand or wrist is usually a nightmare and I immediately thought of Derrek Lee.
But I read about Almora and the hamate bone here at TCR, saw the videos, was kinda relieved.
Then I read Dale Sveum's quote and (I never do these shorthands, but here goes) LMAO.
If I'm a passenger and my plane is going down, I want Sveum to be the pilot.
If I'm wearing a Hawks hat in St. Louis I want him next to me.
If I'm a director trying to find the next Bruce Willis, I'd cast Dale Sveum.

I'd get him to write the dialogue, too.

Comments

j.baez with 2hr today (only in the 5th)...his 2nd was a -monster- blast (off an offspeed pitch, not a fastball).

4 HRs in his last 5 ABs - the fifth one was a warning track shot.

castro better start taking IF practice at 2nd sometime soon...

Baez should start taking more IF practice at 3b now.

the Sun Times article on the Almora Hamate fx with Sveum quotes...

"Obviously, it's not a career problem, more of a pain-in-the-butt type thing that happens to quite a few hitters over the history of the game,'' manager Dale Sveum said. "It's just that little bone that doesn't mean anything or you don't need.

"It'll cost him eight weeks before he gets in a game. The good thing is it's one of those things you take out and are done with it.

• I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?

• LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 7 hours 35 min ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 10 hours 19 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 18 hours 7 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 18 hours 16 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.