Cubs Extinguish Blaze, but Dragons Burn Cougars at Fitch Park
Darnell McDonald singled twice, doubled, walked, scored twice, and knocked-in a run, Taiwan Easterling singled, doubled, reached base on an HBP, stole a base, drove-in two runs, and made two outstanding catches, Jeffrey Baez drove-in three runs with a two-run double and a bases-loaded HBP, and Dan Vogelbach crushed a tape-measure two-run home run, leading the Daytona Cubs to a 10-7 victory over the Bakerfield Blaze (Cincinnati Reds Hi-A affiliate) on Field #3, and Starling Peralta celebrated his return to the Cubs organization with 3.1 IP of one-hit shutout ball, Gioskar Amaya singled and tripled, and Dong-Yub Kim singled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, but it wasn't enough as Joe Hudson (Reds 2012 6th round draft pick - Notre Dame) slugged a HR over the LF fence and onto Center Street to lead the Dayton Dragons (Reds Low-A affiliate) to a 3-1 victory over the Kane County Cougars on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League Camp game action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #2 was extended an extra half-inning so that all of the Cubs pitchers could get their scheduled work.
Drew Carpenter and Darnell McDonald are assigned to the Iowa squad and Rob Whitenack and Austin Kirk are assigned to the Tennessee squad, but the quartet was left behind at Fitch Park as the I-Cubs and Smokies traveled to Goodyear where they played the Reds AA and AAA affiliates. All four saw action in the game on Field #3.
McDonald was a DH and got five Plate Apearances in the first five innings of the game, hitting 2nd in each inning. Carpenter started the game for Daytona, and was followed to the hill by Whitenack and Kirk. All three pitchers threw multiple innings. Whitenack walked four, hit a batter, and threw a WP in 3.2 IP as he continues to have difficulty throwing strikes, but Kirk had five punch-outs in 2.1 IP.
Because all of the Daytona innings were assigned to Iowa and Tennessee pitchers, Starling Peralta and Austin Reed were dropped down to the Kane County game to get their work (both are assigned to the Daytona squad).
Dillon Maples threw a two-inning "sim" game (30 pitches - 15 pitches per inning) versus players from the Boise/Mesa squad on Field #4.
The defensive gems of the day were turned-in by Daytona LF Taiwan Easterling, who made a spectacular diving catch in left-center field, and then another running catch on the warning track.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
KANE COUNTY LINEUP:
1. Oliver Zapata, RF: 1-4 (5-3, 4-3, 6-3, 1B, CS)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 6-3, K, 3B)
3. Marco Hernandez, DH; 0-4 (F-7, 3-U, 6-3, L-6)
4. Ben Carhart, 1B-3B: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, 5-3)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-4 (1B, 5-4 FC, 1B, 5-3, R, SB, CS)
6a. Taylor Davis, C: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, F-9)
6b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
7a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (BB, 6-3)
7b. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-1 (E-3, BB)
8. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-8, BB)
9. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (BB, L-8, 6-4-3 DP, F-9)
KANE COUNTY PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 72 pitches (51 strikes), 7/5 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (22 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
3. Austin Reed: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (17 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
KANE COUNTY ERRORS: 4
1. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 - throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely
2. P Ian Dickson - E-1 - errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed baseruner to advance to 3rd
3. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 - throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely
4. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 - fielding error allowed batter reach base safely
KANE COUNTY CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Taylor Davis: 0-2 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X. Darnell McDonald, DH #1; 3-4 (6-3, BB, 1B, 1B, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
NOTE: McDonald batted 2nd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1a. Tim Saunders, SS: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, R, SB)
1b. David Bote, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 1-U, RBI)
2a. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 4-6 FC, F-8, 2 R)
2b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-5 (K, F-7, HR, K, K, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Chadd Krist, C: 0-3 (4-3, P-3, HBP, K)
4b. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-1 (F-9)
5. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 1-4 (1B, BB, 5-3, L-5, F-9, 2 R)
6. Jeffrey Baez, RF-CF: 1-4 (2B, HBP, K, K, K, R, 3 RBI)
7a. Bijan Rademacher, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, K, RBI)
7b. Sergio Burruel, PH: 0-0 (HBP, R, SB)
8a. Taiwan Easterling, LF: 2-2 (1B, HBP, 2B, 2 RBI, SB)
8b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Wes Darvill, 2B-SS: 1-4 (K, P-6, 6-3, 1B)
1. Drew Carpenter: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 32 pitches (24 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Rob Whitenack: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 61 pitches (31 strikes), 4/5 GO/FO
3. Austin Kirk: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 43 pitches (29 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Warm & sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 70's
OK, boys -- find a way to win today.
There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:
Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...