Ha Gets Last Laugh at Fitch Park
Matt Loosen retired the first ten men he faced and combined with three relievers to throw a four hitter and Jae-Hoon Ha reached base five times on two walks and three singles (including the game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the 9th), as the Tennessee Smokies edged the Midland RockHounds (Oakland Athletics AA affiliate) 4-3 on Field #2, and Barret Loux threw five shutout innings and Scott Hairston singled twice, walked, and smacked a solo HR, helping the Iowa Cubs defeat the Sacramento River Cats (A's AAA affiliate) 3-1 on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Hairston was signed by the Cubs during the off-season after hitting 263/299/504 with 20 HR and 25 doubles in 134 games for the New York Mets in 2012, but he is hitting only 176/208/373 with 18 K in 53 PA so far in 18 Cactus League games. So to help him maybe get into a groove, the Cubs sent Hairston to Fitch Park today where he got eight Plate Appearances, leading off for the Iowa Cubs in each inning.
For the day, Hairston went 3-7 with two singles, a HR, and a walk, two strikeouts (one looking and one swinging), a 6-3 ground out, and a P-4 pop out. He hit his HR in last last AB of the day.
Mark Malave and Anthony Prieto got called up from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training) and played in the Tennessee game.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
1. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 2-2 (1B, BB, BB, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Roni Torreyes, DH #1: 1-5 (3-U, E-6, 1B, 6-3, L-4, RBI, CS)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (1B, K, 1-3, F-7, RBI)
4. Jorge Soler, RF: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, K, 2B, K)
5. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-2 (BB, F-8, 6-3, BB)
6. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 1-3 (2B, K, BB, K)
7. Evan Crawford, LF: 1-4 (K, 4-3, F-8, 1B, R, SB)
8. Elliot Soto, 2B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, 5-3, E-1, 2 R)
9a. Luis Flores, C-DH: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B)
9b. Matt Szczur, PH: 0-1 (K)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, F-7, K)
11a. Matt Loosen, P: 0-0 (1-4 SH)
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Matt Loosen: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 56 pitches (36 strikes), 7/5 GO/FO
2. David Cales: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (10 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. A. J. Morris: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 32 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Anthony Prieto: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 17 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Rafael Lopez: 1 PB
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X. Scott Hairston, DH #1; 3-7 (BB, 6-3, 1B, K, K, 1B, P-4, HR, 2 R, RBI)
NOTE: Hairston batted eight times, leading-off each inning
1. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (K, E-8, K)
2. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, K)
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B)
4. Justin Bour, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
5. Brad Nelson, DH #2: 1-3 (L-6, K, 2B)
6. Ty Wright, LF: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, R)
7. Michael Brenly, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, K)
8. Johermyn Chavez, RF: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, K, RBI)
9. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-3 (F-7, K, 5-3)
10. Chad Noble, DH #3: 0-2 (K, 6-4 FC)
11. Barret Loux, P: 0-0 (3-U SH)
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Barret Loux: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 56 pitches (38 strikes), 5/7 7/5 GO/FO
2. Marcus Hatley: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (19 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Rafael Dolis: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 23 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Partly cloudly with temperatures in the 80's
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.
BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!!