Cabrera Throws Five Shutout Innings at Fitch Park
Roni Torreyes knocked-in three runs with a bases-loaded triple, John Andreoli tripled and walked, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Rafael Lopez reached base three times on a double, a single, and a walk, and scored three runs, and Alberto Cabrera tossed five innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and four relievers threw four perfect innings, as the Tennessee Smokies blanked the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 9-0 on Field #2, and Brad Nelson, Edwin Maysonet, and Tim Torres smacked extra-base hits to highlight a four-run 2nd inning for the Cubs, while Johnny Monell and Hector Sanchez blasted home runs for the Grizzlies, as the Iowa Cubs and Fresno Grizzlies (Giants AAA affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee and Iowa pitchers were inserted into the lineups in sacrifice situations to practice their bunting skills.
Jeffrey Baez and Xavier Batista were temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training), and both of them saw action in the game on Field #3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
X-1. Alberto Cabrera, P: 0-1 (K, SH-E1)
NOTE:: Cabrera batted twice, hitting 3rd in the 2nd inning and 2nd in the 5th
1. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 1-4 (K, 3B, K, 5-3, R, 3 RBI)
2. Matt Szczur, RF: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, F-8, K)
4. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, 2B, BB, P-5, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-7, R)
6. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-7, 1B)
7a. Rafael Lopez, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (3-U)
8. John Andreoli, CF: 1-2 (BB, 4-6-3 DP, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9. Evan Crawford, LF: 0-2 (L-9, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
10. Luis Flores, C-DH; 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, R)
1. Alberto Cabrera: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 68 pitches (44 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Dae-Eun Rhee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Yeiper Castillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Zac Rosscup: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X-1. Drew Carpenter, P: 0-0 (1-4 SH, 1-4 SH)
NOTE: Carpenter batted twice, hitting 2nd in both the 1st and 2nd innings
X-2. Yoanner Negrin, P: 0-0 (1-3 SH)
NOTE: Negrin batted once, hitting 2nd in the 5th
1. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-4, BB, 4-3, R)
2. Brian Bogusevic, CF-DH: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, E-6, K, R, SB)
3a. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, BB, RBI)
3b. Xavier Batista, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
4. Brad Nelson, 1B: 2-3 (2B, 3-U, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Darnell McDonald, LF: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Johermyn Chavez, RF: 1-2 (BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
6b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Edwin Maysonet, SS: 1-4 (2B, P-3, F-8, P-4, R, RBI)
8. Chad Noble, C: 0-2 (F-9 SF, F-8, F-7 DP, RBI)
9. Tim Torres, 3B: 2-3 (3B, F-8, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Josh Vitters, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
10b. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-1 (F-8)
1. Drew Carpenter: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 WP, 75 pitches (47 strikes), 1/8 GO/FO
NOTE: Carpenter's 5th inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
2. Yoanner Negrin: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Marcus Hatley: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 1
SS Edwin Maysonet - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Noble: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good
My guy Addy
Vin and '84 legends
been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.