Cabrera Throws Five Shutout Innings at Fitch Park
Roni Torreyes knocked-in three runs with a bases-loaded triple, John Andreoli tripled and walked, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Rafael Lopez reached base three times on a double, a single, and a walk, and scored three runs, and Alberto Cabrera tossed five innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and four relievers threw four perfect innings, as the Tennessee Smokies blanked the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 9-0 on Field #2, and Brad Nelson, Edwin Maysonet, and Tim Torres smacked extra-base hits to highlight a four-run 2nd inning for the Cubs, while Johnny Monell and Hector Sanchez blasted home runs for the Grizzlies, as the Iowa Cubs and Fresno Grizzlies (Giants AAA affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee and Iowa pitchers were inserted into the lineups in sacrifice situations to practice their bunting skills.
Jeffrey Baez and Xavier Batista were temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training), and both of them saw action in the game on Field #3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
X-1. Alberto Cabrera, P: 0-1 (K, SH-E1)
NOTE:: Cabrera batted twice, hitting 3rd in the 2nd inning and 2nd in the 5th
1. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 1-4 (K, 3B, K, 5-3, R, 3 RBI)
2. Matt Szczur, RF: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, F-8, K)
4. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, 2B, BB, P-5, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-7, R)
6. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-7, 1B)
7a. Rafael Lopez, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (3-U)
8. John Andreoli, CF: 1-2 (BB, 4-6-3 DP, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9. Evan Crawford, LF: 0-2 (L-9, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
10. Luis Flores, C-DH; 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, R)
1. Alberto Cabrera: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 68 pitches (44 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Dae-Eun Rhee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Yeiper Castillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Zac Rosscup: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X-1. Drew Carpenter, P: 0-0 (1-4 SH, 1-4 SH)
NOTE: Carpenter batted twice, hitting 2nd in both the 1st and 2nd innings
X-2. Yoanner Negrin, P: 0-0 (1-3 SH)
NOTE: Negrin batted once, hitting 2nd in the 5th
1. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-4, BB, 4-3, R)
2. Brian Bogusevic, CF-DH: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, E-6, K, R, SB)
3a. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, BB, RBI)
3b. Xavier Batista, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
4. Brad Nelson, 1B: 2-3 (2B, 3-U, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Darnell McDonald, LF: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Johermyn Chavez, RF: 1-2 (BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
6b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Edwin Maysonet, SS: 1-4 (2B, P-3, F-8, P-4, R, RBI)
8. Chad Noble, C: 0-2 (F-9 SF, F-8, F-7 DP, RBI)
9. Tim Torres, 3B: 2-3 (3B, F-8, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Josh Vitters, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
10b. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-1 (F-8)
1. Drew Carpenter: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 WP, 75 pitches (47 strikes), 1/8 GO/FO
NOTE: Carpenter's 5th inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
2. Yoanner Negrin: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Marcus Hatley: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 1
SS Edwin Maysonet - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Noble: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.