Cabrera Throws Five Shutout Innings at Fitch Park
Roni Torreyes knocked-in three runs with a bases-loaded triple, John Andreoli tripled and walked, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Rafael Lopez reached base three times on a double, a single, and a walk, and scored three runs, and Alberto Cabrera tossed five innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and four relievers threw four perfect innings, as the Tennessee Smokies blanked the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 9-0 on Field #2, and Brad Nelson, Edwin Maysonet, and Tim Torres smacked extra-base hits to highlight a four-run 2nd inning for the Cubs, while Johnny Monell and Hector Sanchez blasted home runs for the Grizzlies, as the Iowa Cubs and Fresno Grizzlies (Giants AAA affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee and Iowa pitchers were inserted into the lineups in sacrifice situations to practice their bunting skills.
Jeffrey Baez and Xavier Batista were temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training), and both of them saw action in the game on Field #3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
X-1. Alberto Cabrera, P: 0-1 (K, SH-E1)
NOTE:: Cabrera batted twice, hitting 3rd in the 2nd inning and 2nd in the 5th
1. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 1-4 (K, 3B, K, 5-3, R, 3 RBI)
2. Matt Szczur, RF: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, F-8, K)
4. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, 2B, BB, P-5, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-7, R)
6. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-7, 1B)
7a. Rafael Lopez, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (3-U)
8. John Andreoli, CF: 1-2 (BB, 4-6-3 DP, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9. Evan Crawford, LF: 0-2 (L-9, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
10. Luis Flores, C-DH; 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, R)
1. Alberto Cabrera: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 68 pitches (44 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Dae-Eun Rhee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Yeiper Castillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Zac Rosscup: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X-1. Drew Carpenter, P: 0-0 (1-4 SH, 1-4 SH)
NOTE: Carpenter batted twice, hitting 2nd in both the 1st and 2nd innings
X-2. Yoanner Negrin, P: 0-0 (1-3 SH)
NOTE: Negrin batted once, hitting 2nd in the 5th
1. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-4, BB, 4-3, R)
2. Brian Bogusevic, CF-DH: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, E-6, K, R, SB)
3a. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, BB, RBI)
3b. Xavier Batista, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
4. Brad Nelson, 1B: 2-3 (2B, 3-U, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Darnell McDonald, LF: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Johermyn Chavez, RF: 1-2 (BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
6b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Edwin Maysonet, SS: 1-4 (2B, P-3, F-8, P-4, R, RBI)
8. Chad Noble, C: 0-2 (F-9 SF, F-8, F-7 DP, RBI)
9. Tim Torres, 3B: 2-3 (3B, F-8, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Josh Vitters, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
10b. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-1 (F-8)
1. Drew Carpenter: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 WP, 75 pitches (47 strikes), 1/8 GO/FO
NOTE: Carpenter's 5th inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
2. Yoanner Negrin: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Marcus Hatley: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 1
SS Edwin Maysonet - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Noble: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!
(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)
Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.
cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/
HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.
M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores) the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.
Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).
AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.