Cabrera Throws Five Shutout Innings at Fitch Park
Roni Torreyes knocked-in three runs with a bases-loaded triple, John Andreoli tripled and walked, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Rafael Lopez reached base three times on a double, a single, and a walk, and scored three runs, and Alberto Cabrera tossed five innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and four relievers threw four perfect innings, as the Tennessee Smokies blanked the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 9-0 on Field #2, and Brad Nelson, Edwin Maysonet, and Tim Torres smacked extra-base hits to highlight a four-run 2nd inning for the Cubs, while Johnny Monell and Hector Sanchez blasted home runs for the Grizzlies, as the Iowa Cubs and Fresno Grizzlies (Giants AAA affiliate) played to an 8-8 tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee and Iowa pitchers were inserted into the lineups in sacrifice situations to practice their bunting skills.
Jeffrey Baez and Xavier Batista were temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training), and both of them saw action in the game on Field #3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
X-1. Alberto Cabrera, P: 0-1 (K, SH-E1)
NOTE:: Cabrera batted twice, hitting 3rd in the 2nd inning and 2nd in the 5th
1. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 1-4 (K, 3B, K, 5-3, R, 3 RBI)
2. Matt Szczur, RF: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, F-8, K)
4. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, 2B, BB, P-5, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-7, R)
6. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-7, 1B)
7a. Rafael Lopez, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (3-U)
8. John Andreoli, CF: 1-2 (BB, 4-6-3 DP, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9. Evan Crawford, LF: 0-2 (L-9, 4-3, F-9 SF, RBI)
10. Luis Flores, C-DH; 1-3 (1B, 6-3, K, R)
1. Alberto Cabrera: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 68 pitches (44 strikes), 7/2 GO/FO
2. Dae-Eun Rhee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Yeiper Castillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Zac Rosscup: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
X-1. Drew Carpenter, P: 0-0 (1-4 SH, 1-4 SH)
NOTE: Carpenter batted twice, hitting 2nd in both the 1st and 2nd innings
X-2. Yoanner Negrin, P: 0-0 (1-3 SH)
NOTE: Negrin batted once, hitting 2nd in the 5th
1. Logan Watkins, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-4, BB, 4-3, R)
2. Brian Bogusevic, CF-DH: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, E-6, K, R, SB)
3a. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, BB, RBI)
3b. Xavier Batista, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
4. Brad Nelson, 1B: 2-3 (2B, 3-U, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Darnell McDonald, LF: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Johermyn Chavez, RF: 1-2 (BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
6b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Edwin Maysonet, SS: 1-4 (2B, P-3, F-8, P-4, R, RBI)
8. Chad Noble, C: 0-2 (F-9 SF, F-8, F-7 DP, RBI)
9. Tim Torres, 3B: 2-3 (3B, F-8, 1B, R, RBI)
10a. Josh Vitters, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
10b. Rubi Silva, CF: 0-1 (F-8)
1. Drew Carpenter: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 WP, 75 pitches (47 strikes), 1/8 GO/FO
NOTE: Carpenter's 5th inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
2. Yoanner Negrin: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Marcus Hatley: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
IOWA ERRORS: 1
SS Edwin Maysonet - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Noble: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
That would be Rice Krispy Treat
Butterfinger or Baby Ruth?
That question came from CRUNCH's cousin.
He's definitely one of the best
Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs on Lester:
Yeah, that was the official scoring.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.