Feldman Gets Back On Track at Fitch Park
Scott Feldman threw five innings (65 pitches) of two-hit ball with seven strikeouts, but the Inland Empire 66ers (Los Angeles Angels Hi-A affiliate) edged the Daytona Cubs 2-1 on Field #3, and Rock Shoulders clubbed an opposite field HR over the left-centerfield fence, Willson Contreras drilled a triple, and Oliver Zapata followed with an RBI double to highlight a three-run 7th that helped the Kane County Cougars rally and take a 4-3 lead, but the Burlington Bees (Angels Lo-A affiliate) pushed across a run in the top of the 9th to salvage a 4-4 tie, in Cactus League Minor League Camp action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Feldman was left behind when the Cubs traveled to Houston this weekend to get work in a minor league game, since he isn't scheduled to get his first 2013 start until next Friday. The big right-hander had a terrible Cactus League (11.25 ERA & a 2.20 WHIP, allowing 38 hits--including seven HR--and 25 earned runs in just 20 IP), and he struggled in the top of the 1st inning today, too, allowing a run on two doubles and a walk. But then he settled-in and really got into a groove, retiring 13 of the last 14 men he faced (including seven on strikeouts).
There were a number of roster moves made yeaterday at Minor League Camp, with more to come today.
The Iowa Cubs (AAA) will be remaining at Fitch Park for another couple of days, because they open the PCL season at Albuquerque. The I-Cubs still need to cut about a half-dozen pitchers, so the intrasquad games to be played tomorrow and Tuesday may help decide which pitchers get pink slips.
Three players from the Boise/Mesa squad (Extended Spring Training) saw action in the Kane County game today, including Mark Malave, Rashad Crawford, and Trevor Gretzky.
The game on Field #3 was extended an extra half-inning so that all of the D-Cubs pitchers scheduled to throw today could get their work.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
KANE COUNTY LINEUP:
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, LF: 1-3 (3B, F-7, F-7, R)
1b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (3-U, BB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-4 (4-3, K, 5-3, BB, K, SB)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (F-7 SF+E-7, 1B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
4a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (6-5 FC, L-9)
4b. Mark Malave, PH-3B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-4 FC).
5. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, HR, K, R, RBI)
6. Marco Hernandez, SS-DH: 0-4 (K, P-5, 4-3, F-7)
7. Willson Contreras, C: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, P-2, R)
8. Oliver Zapata, RF: 1-3 (K, F-8, 2B, BB, R, RBI, SB)
9a. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9b. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (F-7 SF, K, RBI)
10a. David Bote, DH-SS: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, 2 SB)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
KANE COUNTY PITCHERS:
1. Felix Pena: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (40 strikes), 4/4 GO/FO
2. Jeffry Antigua: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Justin Amlung: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO)
5. Nathan Dorris: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
NOTE: 9th inning was stopped with two outs when Dorris reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the inning
KANE COUNTY ERRORS: 2
1. RF Oliver Zapata - E-9 (fielding error on single allowed batter to advance an extra base)
2. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base and unearned runs to score from 2nd & 3rd)
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
1. Zeke DeVoss, CF-DH: 0-4 (F-9, K, 6-3, 6-3)
2. Tim Saunders, 3B-SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, HBP, 2B, SB)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
3b. Ben Carhart, 1B: 0-2 (F-9, 3-1)
4. Dustin Geiger, 1B-3B: 0-4 (4-3, K, 5-3, P-4)
5. Jorge Soler, RF: 2-4 (F-9, 1B, 2B, K, R, SB)
6a. Steve Bruno, 2B: 0-1 (HBP, 6-3)
6b. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 1-2 (1B, P-6, RBI)
7. John Andreoli, LF-CF: 0-3 (6-4 FC, K, K)
8a. Taylor Davis, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-8)
8b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (4-3)
9. Taiwan Easterling, DH-LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, PO)
1. Scott Feldman: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 7 K, 65 pitches (46 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (18 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Austin Reed: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 26 pitches (17 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
4. Frank del Valle: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: 1
P Scott Feldman - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.