Lets start off the 2013 season with...a cartoon.

It's 2013.
If you're a Cub Fan and you don't have a sense of humor, you're in the wrong line of work.

GO CUBS!!!

Comments

If I didn't have a sense of humor after all this time watching this team, I'd be dead by now. Nice toon, as usual.

That's pretty funny Tim! I don't know why, but this one remind's me a bit of Lynda Berry's earlier "Ernie Pook's Comeeks" from the early 90's.

Well, maybe it's because Lynda is a genius?
So I'll take that as a pretty big compliment.
Thanks E-Man.

"Genius" is a bit of a stretch. But I'll go with damn creative and pithy.

Do they still play the blues in Chicago...

I'm concerned about the man in the back left. He appears to be consumptive.

If the Cubs are the cause, that could be a big-time law suit.

And if the Cubs get the Wrigley Field renovations done according to plan, their own estimates at one point last year suggested at least $95 million of additional annual revenue, according to a team source.

Even the financing of the renovations, according to internal club documents, will result in tens of millions of dollars in Stadium Investment Credit against their revenue-sharing bill through MLB.

Also some interesting bits on the financing the Rickett's used to purchase the team.

40 degrees in Pittsburgh at the moment, rain/snow mix...

looks like rain will pass though.

per Bruce Miles...Barney to 15 day DL. Alberto Gonzalez added to roster, including 40 man. Rob Whitenack DFA. The Cubbery of it is this may have been Junior Lake's opportunity and I'd still rather see Logan Watkins for 2 weeks.

Not sure if someone will take a flyer on RW given his poor spring albeit he's still in recovery mode from TJ surgery. My guess is he'll stay with the organIzaton.

I agree, it's a perplexing decision. Even setting aside the exposure of Whitenack, how is Gonzalez a better choice than Lake or Watkins? At least we're flexible, aka able to lose in multiple configurations.

Lake is hurt (and doesn't play 2B) and Watkins hasn't had an AB above AA? He wasn't go to get the starts, so what's the point to sit on the bench?

Indeed, cracked rib, IIRC.

Won't be able to do much at the plate with that.

Ok.
So no one can start without playing above AA?
I'd rather see a decent prospect get some time. Watkins hit well at AA last year, and it's not like
they have $$$ invested in him. Lillibridge is a nice reserve. I just prefer to see someone with a shot at being a decent player get the time.
I know, I know...got to get the 500 at bats in AAA. I get it. Lol.

well no one should start without some AAA AB's unless they're really good, which Watkins isn't.

Where's this Watkins love coming from?  Other than his ability to take a walk, he seems really uninteresting. Did he even last in spring camp that long?

Well...he seems to be a decent fielder...has a little more pop and speed, and takes more walks
compared to darwin barney.
(shrug) I guess I'd rather see that than Gonzalez, or even 3 weeks of Lillibridge.

It's more like "compared to two weeks of a 30-year-old replacement-level MLB retread whose legitimate role on this team is to be a utility reserve." I'd rather let Watkins have the two-week lesson to take back to Iowa and work on.

As for the status of Watkins as a prospect, not really, but he's the guy who if he ends up being in the right place at the right time can make a tidy little career out of it. There's more long-term value to the org there than with Lillibridge, which Theo Corp knows, which is why I don't get this. It must be what you're saying Rob, that the jump would be too much for him at this point. And I think that's fair. But given the temporary nature of the situation re Barney, I still would've liked to see it.

I'm not sure of the long term value of watching Watkins get overwhelmed by major league pitching is or sitting on the bench. Could he do as poorly as Lillibridge? Absolutely!!!

Lillibridge and Gonzalez at least worked with Castro a little on the double play over camp (I presume). If there was a guy that played some AAA last year and was at least a C-level prospect, I'd be all for it, but no reason to throw guys up there that are probably not going to succeed. Watkins hardly set AA on fire last year, although he's certainly showing improvement.

Hey..Gonzalez career line is .242/.279/.317. When you can add a guy like that, you...er...

The Whitenack thing is a headscratcher from what everything AZ PHIL has told us.

He was one of, if not the only Cub young pitcher that had starter potential a couple years ago and got sidelined with the TJS.

So since I have not seen him at all, I'm wondering if his rehab just showed no promise?

I don't get it...

I can't imagine anyone will use up a 40-man spot on Whitenack...I'm sure he'll be a Cub next week.

• he should hit more of those. that would be an ideal outcome. /moneyballs

• Russell with 19 RBI in July so far. Grand Slams help.

• ...and Familia with back-to-back blown saves. Blows a one-run lead vs. Rockies today, gets his 2nd consecutive loss.

I am OK with the Mets missing the playoffs and suffering crushing losses at home --- just want them to beat St. Louis.

He played with fire twice agains the Cubs -- unfortunately, the Cubs couldn't stop swinging.

• How about Kyle Farnsworth? I know he was consistently upper 90s.

videographer 6 hours 44 min ago view
  • If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic

jacos 8 hours 32 min ago view
  • I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.

• I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.

• They've mentioned Henry Rodriguez (2013), Chris Carpenter, and Andrew Cashner as Cubs who have gone 100+. They said Rodriguez was tops at 100.8. Who knows before 2008?

QuietMan 10 hours 44 min ago view
  • Regarding Heyward--

He'll play regardless of what he does, just like Soriano played for seven years before they finally ditched him.

What can they do? All I can think of is they can keep hiring and firing hitting coaches until they find one who can get him to stop hitting balls with the handle of the bat.

(All those broken bats added to his paycheck is just a bit much.)

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 44 min ago view
  • Lester will probably be all right.

I think Arrieta might have added too much muscle preparing for that butt-naked ESPN photo shoot. Pitchers are supposed to be loose, not muscled up.

Seriously.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 51 min ago view
  • I have basically written off Heyward for this year -- if you are working on major swing changes in late July, you are going to struggle. Hopefully, he can be more productive at the plate next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with him if the Cardinals keep winning and close the gap. Heyward is dead last in the NL in slugging and in the bottom 5 in OPS -- yet still has a positive WAR. Hunh.

• Has anybody in a Cub uniform ever thrown a ball 103 before?

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 58 min ago view
  • He certainly looks better, no doubt, and is a different player than what we saw when he first came up. Full credit to him for changing his approach and saving his career.

But he has zero walks in 35AB since the break, and 10 in 251 AB all year. He does seem to be able to hit some pitches out of the zone, but, a guy with his pop should be drawing more walks. However, it's easy to forget he is still only 23, and probably trying to make an impact to prove he should be an everyday player.

• The usual suspects, Molina and Wong. Gyorko drew a walk with two outs, none on. I recall us (particularly Szczur and Bryant) swinging at everything Familia threw.

VirginiaPhil 11 hours 9 min ago view