Lets start off the 2013 season with...a cartoon.

It's 2013.
If you're a Cub Fan and you don't have a sense of humor, you're in the wrong line of work.

GO CUBS!!!

Comments

If I didn't have a sense of humor after all this time watching this team, I'd be dead by now. Nice toon, as usual.

That's pretty funny Tim! I don't know why, but this one remind's me a bit of Lynda Berry's earlier "Ernie Pook's Comeeks" from the early 90's.

Well, maybe it's because Lynda is a genius?
So I'll take that as a pretty big compliment.
Thanks E-Man.

"Genius" is a bit of a stretch. But I'll go with damn creative and pithy.

Do they still play the blues in Chicago...

I'm concerned about the man in the back left. He appears to be consumptive.

If the Cubs are the cause, that could be a big-time law suit.

And if the Cubs get the Wrigley Field renovations done according to plan, their own estimates at one point last year suggested at least $95 million of additional annual revenue, according to a team source.

Even the financing of the renovations, according to internal club documents, will result in tens of millions of dollars in Stadium Investment Credit against their revenue-sharing bill through MLB.

Also some interesting bits on the financing the Rickett's used to purchase the team.

40 degrees in Pittsburgh at the moment, rain/snow mix...

looks like rain will pass though.

per Bruce Miles...Barney to 15 day DL. Alberto Gonzalez added to roster, including 40 man. Rob Whitenack DFA. The Cubbery of it is this may have been Junior Lake's opportunity and I'd still rather see Logan Watkins for 2 weeks.

Not sure if someone will take a flyer on RW given his poor spring albeit he's still in recovery mode from TJ surgery. My guess is he'll stay with the organIzaton.

I agree, it's a perplexing decision. Even setting aside the exposure of Whitenack, how is Gonzalez a better choice than Lake or Watkins? At least we're flexible, aka able to lose in multiple configurations.

Lake is hurt (and doesn't play 2B) and Watkins hasn't had an AB above AA? He wasn't go to get the starts, so what's the point to sit on the bench?

Indeed, cracked rib, IIRC.

Won't be able to do much at the plate with that.

Ok.
So no one can start without playing above AA?
I'd rather see a decent prospect get some time. Watkins hit well at AA last year, and it's not like
they have $$$ invested in him. Lillibridge is a nice reserve. I just prefer to see someone with a shot at being a decent player get the time.
I know, I know...got to get the 500 at bats in AAA. I get it. Lol.

well no one should start without some AAA AB's unless they're really good, which Watkins isn't.

Where's this Watkins love coming from?  Other than his ability to take a walk, he seems really uninteresting. Did he even last in spring camp that long?

Well...he seems to be a decent fielder...has a little more pop and speed, and takes more walks
compared to darwin barney.
(shrug) I guess I'd rather see that than Gonzalez, or even 3 weeks of Lillibridge.

It's more like "compared to two weeks of a 30-year-old replacement-level MLB retread whose legitimate role on this team is to be a utility reserve." I'd rather let Watkins have the two-week lesson to take back to Iowa and work on.

As for the status of Watkins as a prospect, not really, but he's the guy who if he ends up being in the right place at the right time can make a tidy little career out of it. There's more long-term value to the org there than with Lillibridge, which Theo Corp knows, which is why I don't get this. It must be what you're saying Rob, that the jump would be too much for him at this point. And I think that's fair. But given the temporary nature of the situation re Barney, I still would've liked to see it.

I'm not sure of the long term value of watching Watkins get overwhelmed by major league pitching is or sitting on the bench. Could he do as poorly as Lillibridge? Absolutely!!!

Lillibridge and Gonzalez at least worked with Castro a little on the double play over camp (I presume). If there was a guy that played some AAA last year and was at least a C-level prospect, I'd be all for it, but no reason to throw guys up there that are probably not going to succeed. Watkins hardly set AA on fire last year, although he's certainly showing improvement.

Hey..Gonzalez career line is .242/.279/.317. When you can add a guy like that, you...er...

The Whitenack thing is a headscratcher from what everything AZ PHIL has told us.

He was one of, if not the only Cub young pitcher that had starter potential a couple years ago and got sidelined with the TJS.

So since I have not seen him at all, I'm wondering if his rehab just showed no promise?

I don't get it...

I can't imagine anyone will use up a 40-man spot on Whitenack...I'm sure he'll be a Cub next week.

• I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.

Charlie 18 min 50 sec ago view
  • ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

crunch 52 min 54 sec ago view
  • nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

crunch 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

crunch 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 41 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 4 hours 53 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.

• I hope the D and bullpen show up. Cubs haven't had much luck against Davies, and he's been going well lately. A little uncomfortable with the Cards only 6.5 back--feels like they're right on our tails compared to the 11 game lead I've grown accustomed to.

• Cardinals, stop that. Right now.

• In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.

John Beasley 11 hours 34 min ago view
  • vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

crunch 20 hours 49 sec ago view