Raley & Golden Shine at Fitch Park
Brooks Raley threw six innings of three-hit one-run ball and Reggie Golden belted a two-run double, as the Boise/Mesa Cubs (Extended Spring Training) edged the Iowa Cubs 2-1 in an intrasquad game this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
The game was halted after 6-1/2 innings.
The Iowa Cubs are still in Mesa (and will be until Wednesday), because they open the season on Thursday night at Albuquerque, and will not be flying to Des Moines until the end of their road trip (Albuquerque & Round Rock).
Raley pitched for the Boise/Mesa squad so that he could face the AAA Iowa Cubs lineup, and the Boise/Mesa pitchers threw for the Iowa Cubs and faced the Boise/Mesa hitters. Dillon Maples was very impressive, throwing 2.1 IP of no-hit ball with three strikeouts.
Iowa Cubs catcher J. C. Boscan, who spent Spring Training as an extra catcher in big league camp with the Chicago Cubs, got four AB in today's intrasquad game, batting third for Boise/Mesa in each of the first four innings. He got two hits (both singles), and was Raley's catcher for all six innings. (Justin Marra was the catcher for the Boise//Mesa pitchers, so he played for Iowa).
Ian Stewart (on the Cubs 15-day DL with a quad injury) took a lengthy BP session after the intrasquad game and hit the ball very well. .
In Cubs minor league roster news, Kane County INF Wes Darvill has been promoted to AAA Iowa, to provide an extra back-up middle-infielder while Alberto Gonzalez is with the Cubs. Also, 2B Roni Torreyes has been demoted from Daytona to Extended Spring Training. He's not injured (he's been playing regularly throughout Minor League Camp, and he played the entire game today), so there must be some other issue involved.
Also, RHP Rob Whitenack has been Designated for Assignment to make room for INF Alberto Gonzalez on the Cubs MLB 40-man roster. Whitenack was added to the 40-man roster after last season, but he has struggled with his control and was unable to elevate the velocity on his fastball throughout Spring Training. If he clears waivers, I would expect him to be assigned to Extended Spring Training.
RHP Carlos Martinez pitched in relief today. Martinez had been absent from Minor League Camp for about ten days and I was unable to determine his roster status or whereabouts, but I can now report that he has been assigned to Extended Spring Training.
However, it would appear that IF-OF Bobby Buckner (Bill Buckner's son), OF James Hill (Billy Williams' grandson), and C-OF Rony Rodriguez (somebody's son, nephew, brother, and/or cousin) have been released, although that cannot be confirmed at this time.
Here is the box scores from the game:
X. J. C. Boscan, C: 2-4 (1B, L-9, F-9, 1B, R)
NOTE: Boscan batted four times, hitting third in each of the first four innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (1B, L-8, F-8, R)
2. Roni Torreyes, 2B: 0-3 (L-8, E-5, F-8)
3. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-2 (2B, BB, K, 2 RBI)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (3-1, F-8, 4-3)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-6 FC, K)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, BB, SB, CS)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, K)
8. Trevor Gretzky, DH-LF: 0-2 (1-3, F-7)
9. Erick Castillo, DH #2: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
1. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (K, K, HBP)
2. Brian Bogusevic, CF: 1-3 (L-8, 1B, 4-3, R)
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-2 (L-6, F-9)
4. Brad Nelson, 1B: 1-2 (K, 2B, RBI)
5. Darnell McDonald, RF: 0-2 (6-3, K)
6. Ty Wright, LF: 0-2 (4-3, 6-3)
7. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-8, K)
8. Edwin Maysonet, SS: 1-2 (1B+E1, 5-3)
9a. Luis Flores, DH #1: 0-1 (K)
9b. Tim Torres, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
10. Wes Darvill, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, 4-3)
1. Brooks Raley: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 80 pitches (48 strikes), 7/5 GO/FO
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 41 pitches (24 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (10 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Dillon Maples: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 34 pitches (19 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
BOISE/MESA ERRORS: 1
P Brooks Raley - E-1 (throwing error on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
IOWA ERRORS: 1
3B Josh Vitters - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 11 (including Wayne Gretzky)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Well said. On one hand, I thought the HBP was a bad baseball play -- down 4 runs, put a runner on for a red-hot Fowler. On the other hand, they needed to do something -- I hadn't thought about the warning/pitching inside point. Is Hurdle that smart? He does not strike me that way. By the way -- not clear which fan base you are referring to in your "first" 3rd point.
1. I hate the fact that after 162 games, a team could be out after 1 game. However, I think the system is pretty close to perfect right now. 2 of 3 isn't feasible unless they shorten the regular season, and it ices the division winners for way too long. This creates excitement, and rewards the division winners.
Call me lost.
I just noticed the Dodger's payroll today. It is just absurd. $300,000,000+!!
Here is where just some of their money is for 2015:
Carl Crawford $20MM
Brandon McCarthy $17MM
Bronson Arroyo $3.5MM
Darwin B $2.2MM
Dan Haren $10MM
Matt Kemp $18MM
Brian Wilson $10MM
Ryan Webb $2.2MM
Dee Gordon $2.5MM
Enjoyable read on David Ross.
Er, they won the first one. My bad. Carry on.
BOB: I doubt very much that Matt Szczur will be on the Cubs LDS roster.