Sunday Game Thread: Cubs (2-3) @ Braves (4-1)

I have come to hate the Tomahawk Chop and accompanying crowd hum as much as anything about the Cardinals, Brewers, or White Sox. Go, Cubs, go, dammit!

Cubs lineup v. Tim Hudson (3 ER, 6H over 4.1 v. Phillies on 4/1, ND): DeJesus 8, Castro 6, Rizzo 3, Soriano 7, Schierholtz 9, Navarro 2, Valbuena 5, Gonzalez 4, Samardzija 1

Braves lineup v. Jeff Samardzija (0 ER, 2 H, 9 K, 0 BB over 8 IP v. Pirates on 4/1, WIN): BJ Upton 8, Heyward 9, Justin Upton 7, Gattis 2, Uggla 4, Francisco 5, C. Johnson 3, Pena 6, Hudson 1

Also, the Braves have placed Freddie Freeman on the 15-Day DL with a strained right oblique--Len Kasper called that one when it happened last night--and his roster spot is being assumed by Blake DeWitt.

Provide your own punch line.

Comments

Apparently Fuji is your new closer as reported on WSCR Hit and Run.

Great bit of Cubbery: 'We are taking the closer role away from the guy who gave up 2 runs in the 9th and giving it to the guy who gave up 3 runs in the 8th."

Also hate the Tomahawk Chop hum thing. If it is any consolation, it appears to me having attended many of the Cubs at ATL series in recent years, that because it comes from one of the most fair-weather fan bases in all of sports makes the Chop itself vary widely in intensity from season to season.

I have a vivid memory of all of us doing a mock-chop when I saw the Cubs beating the Braves, 2003. Really funny when the whole stadium was doing it to stick it up the Brave's asses. Ahhh...those were the days...

During a win, just a couple of years ago, my brother's and my kids were loudly chanting "Here we go Cubbies, here we go!" and "Let's go Cubbies clap, clap, clap-clap-clap". Due to a customarily light and quiet ATL croud, their chants seemed to echo across Turner Field much to the chagrin of the Braves fans. Was a great Cubbies moment for my brother and I!

I had the pleasure to attend the NLDS Game 5 there in 2003, and even though Cubs fans were only about 1/3 of the seats, they were at least half the noise.

4 ip 10 SO for Shark.....could be an interesting day if that keeps up...

...and it's no longer interesting in the 6th...sigh...cubs

dennis miller just murdered the 7th inning stretch...alternate lyrics...missed lyrics...made up parts...braves fans still cheer. wtf?

Due the formatting of the comment feed, I read "dennis miller just murdered...".

My actual thought was, "Yeah, that makes sense".

lulz and doh...and i should probably keep an eye out for that kind of stuff.

• I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?

• LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 7 hours 19 min ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 10 hours 3 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

billybucks 16 hours 42 sec ago view
  • There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 17 hours 51 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 17 hours 59 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

billybucks 18 hours ago view
  • Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.