Sunday Game Thread: Cubs (2-3) @ Braves (4-1)

I have come to hate the Tomahawk Chop and accompanying crowd hum as much as anything about the Cardinals, Brewers, or White Sox. Go, Cubs, go, dammit!

Cubs lineup v. Tim Hudson (3 ER, 6H over 4.1 v. Phillies on 4/1, ND): DeJesus 8, Castro 6, Rizzo 3, Soriano 7, Schierholtz 9, Navarro 2, Valbuena 5, Gonzalez 4, Samardzija 1

Braves lineup v. Jeff Samardzija (0 ER, 2 H, 9 K, 0 BB over 8 IP v. Pirates on 4/1, WIN): BJ Upton 8, Heyward 9, Justin Upton 7, Gattis 2, Uggla 4, Francisco 5, C. Johnson 3, Pena 6, Hudson 1

Also, the Braves have placed Freddie Freeman on the 15-Day DL with a strained right oblique--Len Kasper called that one when it happened last night--and his roster spot is being assumed by Blake DeWitt.

Provide your own punch line.

Comments

Apparently Fuji is your new closer as reported on WSCR Hit and Run.

Great bit of Cubbery: 'We are taking the closer role away from the guy who gave up 2 runs in the 9th and giving it to the guy who gave up 3 runs in the 8th."

Also hate the Tomahawk Chop hum thing. If it is any consolation, it appears to me having attended many of the Cubs at ATL series in recent years, that because it comes from one of the most fair-weather fan bases in all of sports makes the Chop itself vary widely in intensity from season to season.

I have a vivid memory of all of us doing a mock-chop when I saw the Cubs beating the Braves, 2003. Really funny when the whole stadium was doing it to stick it up the Brave's asses. Ahhh...those were the days...

During a win, just a couple of years ago, my brother's and my kids were loudly chanting "Here we go Cubbies, here we go!" and "Let's go Cubbies clap, clap, clap-clap-clap". Due to a customarily light and quiet ATL croud, their chants seemed to echo across Turner Field much to the chagrin of the Braves fans. Was a great Cubbies moment for my brother and I!

I had the pleasure to attend the NLDS Game 5 there in 2003, and even though Cubs fans were only about 1/3 of the seats, they were at least half the noise.

4 ip 10 SO for Shark.....could be an interesting day if that keeps up...

...and it's no longer interesting in the 6th...sigh...cubs

dennis miller just murdered the 7th inning stretch...alternate lyrics...missed lyrics...made up parts...braves fans still cheer. wtf?

Due the formatting of the comment feed, I read "dennis miller just murdered...".

My actual thought was, "Yeah, that makes sense".

lulz and doh...and i should probably keep an eye out for that kind of stuff.

• Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

Old and Blue 37 min 23 sec ago view
  • Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 1 hour 2 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 1 hour 55 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 3 hours 23 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 4 hours 58 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 6 hours 38 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 6 hours 39 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 6 hours 41 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 6 hours 44 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 6 hours 52 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 54 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 7 hours 14 min ago view