Sunday Game Thread: Cubs (2-3) @ Braves (4-1)

I have come to hate the Tomahawk Chop and accompanying crowd hum as much as anything about the Cardinals, Brewers, or White Sox. Go, Cubs, go, dammit!

Cubs lineup v. Tim Hudson (3 ER, 6H over 4.1 v. Phillies on 4/1, ND): DeJesus 8, Castro 6, Rizzo 3, Soriano 7, Schierholtz 9, Navarro 2, Valbuena 5, Gonzalez 4, Samardzija 1

Braves lineup v. Jeff Samardzija (0 ER, 2 H, 9 K, 0 BB over 8 IP v. Pirates on 4/1, WIN): BJ Upton 8, Heyward 9, Justin Upton 7, Gattis 2, Uggla 4, Francisco 5, C. Johnson 3, Pena 6, Hudson 1

Also, the Braves have placed Freddie Freeman on the 15-Day DL with a strained right oblique--Len Kasper called that one when it happened last night--and his roster spot is being assumed by Blake DeWitt.

Provide your own punch line.

Comments

Apparently Fuji is your new closer as reported on WSCR Hit and Run.

Great bit of Cubbery: 'We are taking the closer role away from the guy who gave up 2 runs in the 9th and giving it to the guy who gave up 3 runs in the 8th."

Also hate the Tomahawk Chop hum thing. If it is any consolation, it appears to me having attended many of the Cubs at ATL series in recent years, that because it comes from one of the most fair-weather fan bases in all of sports makes the Chop itself vary widely in intensity from season to season.

I have a vivid memory of all of us doing a mock-chop when I saw the Cubs beating the Braves, 2003. Really funny when the whole stadium was doing it to stick it up the Brave's asses. Ahhh...those were the days...

During a win, just a couple of years ago, my brother's and my kids were loudly chanting "Here we go Cubbies, here we go!" and "Let's go Cubbies clap, clap, clap-clap-clap". Due to a customarily light and quiet ATL croud, their chants seemed to echo across Turner Field much to the chagrin of the Braves fans. Was a great Cubbies moment for my brother and I!

I had the pleasure to attend the NLDS Game 5 there in 2003, and even though Cubs fans were only about 1/3 of the seats, they were at least half the noise.

4 ip 10 SO for Shark.....could be an interesting day if that keeps up...

...and it's no longer interesting in the 6th...sigh...cubs

dennis miller just murdered the 7th inning stretch...alternate lyrics...missed lyrics...made up parts...braves fans still cheer. wtf?

Due the formatting of the comment feed, I read "dennis miller just murdered...".

My actual thought was, "Yeah, that makes sense".

lulz and doh...and i should probably keep an eye out for that kind of stuff.

• trevor clifton (high-A) could be interesting in a couple seasons...could even become a high/middle rotation guy. he's got a lot of pluses in his pitching except control.

eric leal's (high-A) progression through the minors should be worth watching even if only projects to be an mid/end-rotation starter.

we also gotta keep a long-distance eye on guys like jose paulino (ss-A) and preston morrison (A).

• As Johnny Bach used to say when it was time for the MJ Bulls to crank up the defensive pressure: "Release the Dobermans!", and Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Harper would just suffocate the other team.

I'd love to add Carl Jr. to that group - he's got the stuff.

• Historically, the Moneyball guys have been great at identifying productive hitters. Not so much with pitchers.

• Wow - Pierce Johnson with an ERA of 8.01 in 42IP!

What a stud prospect! Must be pitching with a pierced johnson.

Looks like Ryan Williams is the only legit prospect there. That is sad...

• Well it would seem that's all they need now. "Stropy" can have his moments, but he's been more consistent post-asg.

• Take THAT, Cardinals -- you beat Fernandez, we beat Sale.

I really like Lackey as a 6-inning pitcher.

• Three amigos? Because the Dominican, the Venezuelan, and the Cuban?

Maybe the three-headed dragon?

John Beasley 3 hours 23 min ago view
  • Who says Contreras can't frame? Stone cold robbery of Eaton with that called third strike for the first out in the eighth

Eric S 3 hours 54 min ago view
  • Three amigos time?

7-8-9th

jacos 4 hours 9 min ago view
  • he should hit more of those. that would be an ideal outcome. /moneyballs

• Russell with 19 RBI in July so far. Grand Slams help.

• ...and Familia with back-to-back blown saves. Blows a one-run lead vs. Rockies today, gets his 2nd consecutive loss.

I am OK with the Mets missing the playoffs and suffering crushing losses at home --- just want them to beat St. Louis.

He played with fire twice agains the Cubs -- unfortunately, the Cubs couldn't stop swinging.

• How about Kyle Farnsworth? I know he was consistently upper 90s.

videographer 11 hours 5 min ago view
  • If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic

jacos 12 hours 53 min ago view
  • I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.

• I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.