Sunday Game Thread: Cubs (2-3) @ Braves (4-1)

I have come to hate the Tomahawk Chop and accompanying crowd hum as much as anything about the Cardinals, Brewers, or White Sox. Go, Cubs, go, dammit!

Cubs lineup v. Tim Hudson (3 ER, 6H over 4.1 v. Phillies on 4/1, ND): DeJesus 8, Castro 6, Rizzo 3, Soriano 7, Schierholtz 9, Navarro 2, Valbuena 5, Gonzalez 4, Samardzija 1

Braves lineup v. Jeff Samardzija (0 ER, 2 H, 9 K, 0 BB over 8 IP v. Pirates on 4/1, WIN): BJ Upton 8, Heyward 9, Justin Upton 7, Gattis 2, Uggla 4, Francisco 5, C. Johnson 3, Pena 6, Hudson 1

Also, the Braves have placed Freddie Freeman on the 15-Day DL with a strained right oblique--Len Kasper called that one when it happened last night--and his roster spot is being assumed by Blake DeWitt.

Provide your own punch line.

Comments

Apparently Fuji is your new closer as reported on WSCR Hit and Run.

Great bit of Cubbery: 'We are taking the closer role away from the guy who gave up 2 runs in the 9th and giving it to the guy who gave up 3 runs in the 8th."

Also hate the Tomahawk Chop hum thing. If it is any consolation, it appears to me having attended many of the Cubs at ATL series in recent years, that because it comes from one of the most fair-weather fan bases in all of sports makes the Chop itself vary widely in intensity from season to season.

I have a vivid memory of all of us doing a mock-chop when I saw the Cubs beating the Braves, 2003. Really funny when the whole stadium was doing it to stick it up the Brave's asses. Ahhh...those were the days...

During a win, just a couple of years ago, my brother's and my kids were loudly chanting "Here we go Cubbies, here we go!" and "Let's go Cubbies clap, clap, clap-clap-clap". Due to a customarily light and quiet ATL croud, their chants seemed to echo across Turner Field much to the chagrin of the Braves fans. Was a great Cubbies moment for my brother and I!

I had the pleasure to attend the NLDS Game 5 there in 2003, and even though Cubs fans were only about 1/3 of the seats, they were at least half the noise.

4 ip 10 SO for Shark.....could be an interesting day if that keeps up...

...and it's no longer interesting in the 6th...sigh...cubs

dennis miller just murdered the 7th inning stretch...alternate lyrics...missed lyrics...made up parts...braves fans still cheer. wtf?

Due the formatting of the comment feed, I read "dennis miller just murdered...".

My actual thought was, "Yeah, that makes sense".

lulz and doh...and i should probably keep an eye out for that kind of stuff.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

crunch 57 min 53 sec ago view
  • real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

Rob G. 1 hour 11 sec ago view
  • four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 57 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 7 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 26 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

• Thank you for your answer.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 36 min ago view
  • bless your heart.

• I don't recall you answering my question about quantifying how it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this season, apart from one guy scoring on a sac fly. Can you direct me to your answer? Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 42 min ago view
  • Lester's personal catcher has an .809 OPS.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 45 min ago view
  • we already has this asinine discussion. you didn't like the answer. there's already an answer above you can apply about how a guy goes from 1st base to home on a sac fly that included him stealing 3rd while lester watched from the mound. the fact that the cubs bats, 100% independent of that situation, scored some runs invalidates it as an issue to you. i find that stupid. we will not get anywhere with this. you know we will not get anywhere with this...because we already had this asinine discussion.

#circularlogic

• it's not about SB...it never was.

jake arrieta being slow to the plate isn't comparable to jon lester not throwing to any base. how the runners read off arrieta isn't anything similar to what a runner is reading off lester.

maybe arrieta could use a personal catcher solely to control his running game...but i doubt it's that important.