Sunday Game Thread: Giants (8-4) v. Cubs (4-7)

Injury update: Steve Clevenger, who was going to get another start at 3B today, is instead on the sidelines with a strained oblique, suffered on the final, ugly swing in Saturday's loss. He is expected to miss at least six weeks.

The Cubs will go shorthanded today, then fill Clevenger's roster spot Tuesday, when Darwin Barney returns from his brief rehab stay in Iowa. (Barney went 1-for-4 in the I-Cubs' win Saturday.)

As for this afternoon's game at Wrigley, the Cubs go for the split in the series finale against the World Champs. Lineups after the jump.

Giants' Posey-less lineup v. Edwin Jackson (0-2, 5.73; coming off L in home opener to the Brewers, in which he got torched early): Pagan 8, Scutaro 4, Sandoval 5, Pence 9, Belt 3, Glanco 7, Sanchez 2, Crawford 6, Lincecum 1

Small Sample Terror Alert: Pablo Sandoval is 5-for-8 lifetime v. Edwin Jackson, including a double, HR and 5 RBI.

Cubs lineup v. Tim Lincecum (1-0, 4.91; just 1-3, 4.45 in his last 5 outings against the Cubs): DeJesus 8, Castro 6, Rizzo 3, Soriano 7, Schierholtz 9, Navarro 2, Valbuena 5, Gonzalez 4, EJax 1

Comments

Cubs have signed Kevin Gregg to a minor league deal. Yes. They have.

odd it took so long for someone to sign him...spring training is "only spring training" but he had an awesome spring.

11ip 3h 0bb 5k 1er

I don't like when my jokes come true.

If Darwin is healthy enough to play in Iowa today, how is he not healthy enough to be available off the bench at Wrigley?

Is he eligible to come off the DL yet? Injury happened late in spring training. Gonzalez made a helluva nice defensive play in the game, about as much as you'd get from Barney.

Because Darwin Barney was injured in an MLB Spring Training game on Saturday 3/30, he could not be placed on the DL until Sun 3/31 (the assignment could not be backdated), so he won;t be eligible to be reactivated from the DL until tomorrow (Monday).

Jackson will give up his expected 3-4 runs, which should be more than enough to beat the Cubs.

"BruceMiles2112 #Cubs claim RHP Kameron Loe off waivers from Seattle"

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy?

i mean, seriously...

well, i guess if he snags onto the big club he can lead the team in homers...the wrong kind of homers.

i hope the cubs didn't take on his $1m price tag...he's not even worth MLB minimum wage.

Another diamond in the rough!!!!

CRUNCH: When a player is claimed off waivers, the claiming club MUST assume 100% of the player's contract & remaining salary.

lulz...side-by-side photos of lincecum with long hair + mitch from "dazed and confused"

not lulz...cubs down by 1 after 1/2 inning.

castro 2r HR...cubs lead by 1...no outs, bottom 1st. unf.

nate shureholds 2r HR...cubs lead by 3. unf x2.

1 out...lincecum has exchanged pitching wild and outside the zone with throwing meatballs into the strike zone. he's struggling to hit 90/91mph and there's not much movement on his fastball.

so much for that cubs lead...1 passed ball, 2 wild pitches (both in the 6th), and walks killed e.jackson

...more wild pitches, these for bowden...2 in the inning for him...navvarro isn't blocking any of this stuff. it's like watching todd hundley catch...

holy crap! another wild pitch as i type this...also not blocked.

5 wild pitches in this inning.

buchholz (BOS) no-hitter through 7...99 pitches, though.

no-hitter over...1st batter of the 8th.

Crunch'd

so much for the cubs not inviting casual/fair-weather/out-of-place singers for the 7th.

sure, julia sweeney lives in CHI...but it's been less than 4 years and you can tell she's never been to wrigley or seen many, if any, games.

"alright cubs fans, let's hear you! ...and giants fans, we want to hear you, too!"

-cringe-

TIE GAME IN THE 8TH!

...and the cubs lead on a sac fly...woo.

s.camp's 87mph fastball in for the save chance.

...and we're tied with a 2out solo HR...sigh...

...and the giants have a 2 run lead in the top 10th.

camptastic.

...make that a 3 run lead on a double.

it took 3 singles a balk (not in that order) to even get someone up in the pen.

camp finally out of the game.