I-Cubs (Dar)Win Again!

Crafty Chris Rusin worked seven strong innings under the weather, you might say, in pitching the Iowa Cubs to their second straight win over the Albuquerque Isotopes this afternoon at Principal Park. He wasn't sick. He just kept the ball down (to the tune of 11 ground outs) and out of the southerly jet stream blowing toward the fences as the I-Cubs notched consecutive W's for the first time in 2013.

I went to the home opener Friday night strictly to preserve a tradition. The stiff wind that evening was out of the north and made the chilly temps in the high 30's insufferable for long. I lasted only the first third of the game. Today I stayed for 2/3 as I stretch myself with an eye on shorts and t-shirt game conditions.

Half of the infield today was manned by rehabbers. As a gold-gloved I-Cub alum Darwin Barney rated what ovation the smallish crowd today could muster when he came to the plate in the bottom of the 1st. He was followed by Ian Stewart hitting in the 3-hole. When Stewart was announced you could have heard a peanut shell drop.

Barney walked on four straight pitches three AB's in a row before striking out in his fourth trip. All told he saw 17 pitches without putting any in play. He also stole a base. Stewart fanned twice, once looking; once swinging, before realizing his bat was useless and drawing a four-pitch walk of his own with the bases loaded in the 4th to knot the score at one. Brad Nelson followed with a two-run single that was the game's deciding blow.

The other thing of note about the game, other than the mausoleum vibe that persisted throughout, was that it took until the game's 22nd batter with two out in the top of the 3rd before a ball was fouled out of play. Don't ask me why I happened to notice that. There's always something that you just don't see everyday. Friday night it was a wind-blown 65 foot double by I forget who that failed to score a runner from 2nd because it came with only one out. The high pop looked destined for the third baseman's glove off the bat but landed safely and untouched right behind the pitcher's mound. Give whoever hit it credit for hustling.

Comments

I don't think that's a fair criticism of Kendrick (on TCR Twitter). The seats came with a warning, they violated it, and they still got free clothes and drinks out of the situation.

About five years ago a friend of a business associate invited me onto the field at AT&T Park before a Cubs-Giants game. We got to meet Pinella, DLee, and some of the other guys, plus I watched Lincecum do his off-day throwing from about 10 feet behind the mound. The only condition was that we couldn't wear any Cubs gear. A few people in the party bitched about that, but in the end, some privileges are clearly worth the sacrifice.

Not all that long ago I went to a Cubs spring training game and there was a sea of Prior jerseys and it was about 3 years since he had pitched for the Cubs. Some people should be banned from wearing jerseys just on general principle.

I know this girl who got the owner's box seats at Yankee Stadium back in the 90's. She wore an Orioles hat, she was a fan. She and her hipster doofus friend were kicked out of the game. I think he got hit by a foul ball.

Hee hee.

I'll have you know that the "hipster dufus" you mentioned happens to be a very talented dermatologist. He saved my cousin's life by identifying a problem mole. Dr. Van Nostrand, I believe it was

Isn't that the guy who decked Mickey Mantle?

Joe Pepitone is screaming "You killed Mickey! You killed Mickey!"

You called?

• Mine has been really slow to load -- on different computers from different locations.

JoePepitone 2 hours 18 min ago view
  • Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?

Eric S 3 hours 18 min ago view
  • Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.

cubbies.4ever 6 hours 39 min ago view
  • Interesting choices when guys get healthy.

LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.

Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?

• I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.

• oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.

poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.

• Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)

• Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.

JoePepitone 11 hours 23 min ago view
  • almora's 1st HR!

• it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.

kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.

• It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.

At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.

• he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.

• After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.

Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.

Brick 12 hours 31 min ago view
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY: Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.

Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues, so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.

Other Cubs represented by Boras include Jake Arrieta, Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Albert Almora Jr.

Arizona Phil 12 hours 37 min ago view
  • I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!

Hagsag 14 hours 59 min ago view
  • Baez had Maddon's ass last night. I didn't hear the reason for taking Contreras out last night but whatever game management thingy it was, you don't take out your second hottest hitter. Or is he third? Anyway, you don't take him out. The guy can probably play anywhere in the field, anyway. Did anybody see that nice catch in left he made? I don't think he got a late start on that, just tracked it damn well for a catcher.