It Might be Sinking, but Those Deck Chairs Need Shuffling

The Cubs today will make some roster moves including the return of everyone's least favorite closer since Mel Rojas.

According to Twitter, the moves will be Darwin Barney being reinstated from the disabled list to begin his 2013 scrappy campaign. He'll be joined by 37-year-old Cody Ransom, which will give Barney a nice peak into his MLB future while also rescuing us fans from anymore Brent Lillibridge at-bats(he's been DFA'd). Throw in Steve Clevenger's move to the 60-day disabled list and there are your position player updates.

C: Castillo, Navarro

INF: Rizzo, Barney, Castro, Valbuena, Gonzalez, Ransom

OF: Soriano, DeJesus, Schierholtz, Hairston, Sappelt

On the pitching side, Kameron Loe and Kevin Gregg join the team, they'll take the roster spots of Hisanori Takahashi(DFA'd) and Rafael Dolis(optioned). At the going rate, Loe or Gregg will either be closing or on the disabled list by the end of the week.

SP: Samardzija, Jackson, Wood, Villanueva, Feldman

RP: Camp, Russell, Marmol, Loe, Gregg, Bowden, Rondon

Barney gets the start tonight versus lefty Derek Holland, with Travis Wood taking the mound for the Cubs. Sappelt 8/Castro 6/Rizzo 3/Soriano 7/Hairston 9/Castillo 2/Barney 4/Gonzalez 5/Wood 1 are your starting 9.

Comments

SUPER BOWL!!!!

In the twitter box you'll see, that Gregg thinks he'll get a chance to close.

2013 cubs...rent the excitement.

Over Marmol's dead body
...would he then qualify for the 60day DL?

Not that it matters.

It will be interesting to see who goes when Q-J Fujikawa is ready to return. Not that it matters.

as much as people don't like gregg...i'm not holding out much hope for k.loe...more like no hope.

sure it's "only" a million bucks, but i dunno why they even wanted a piece of that.

Not saying I'll miss Lil'Britches, but who the hell plays first if Rizzo goes down?

..not that it matters.

I was gonna guess Schierholtz, but to my surprise he has all of 1 minor league game under his belt at that position. I thought he played some with the Giants. Otherwise I'm guessing Derrek Lee :)

Maybe one of the catchers....

The type of player they're signing--high-mileage jack of all trades, master of none--is likely to have spent time at first base.

At least I had no trouble locating fifty-odd games at first, equally divided between majors and minors, for Ransom.

Alberto Gonzales played some first at Washington and SD.

because of the crappy weather, questionable condition of some seats, and mega-low attendance at the NYM/COL game they told fans to sit where they wanted to and just move to another seat if someone says you're in their seat. it doesn't seem applicable for the mega-premium seats behind home plate, but whatever...still nice.

I understand the Rangers forfeited once they saw the new Cubs roster.

k.gregg, k.loe, c.ransom...this is the serious run cubs fans have been waiting for and other teams have been fearing.

most exciting jed hoyer press conference ever...this is a game changer.

in news that may mean a win, Garza tweeted that he's starting a rehab assignment with Kane County soon....

slated for 2 innings on Friday, essentially starting spring training...figure that's 3-4 weeks before he's major league ready

• Wow. The site actually loaded without an error! Happy 4th all, and Go Cubs!

The E-Man 20 min 43 sec ago view
  • OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.

billybucks 56 min 2 sec ago view
  • Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 2 hours 20 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 37 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 6 hours 17 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 6 hours 44 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 18 hours 45 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(