It Might be Sinking, but Those Deck Chairs Need Shuffling

The Cubs today will make some roster moves including the return of everyone's least favorite closer since Mel Rojas.

According to Twitter, the moves will be Darwin Barney being reinstated from the disabled list to begin his 2013 scrappy campaign. He'll be joined by 37-year-old Cody Ransom, which will give Barney a nice peak into his MLB future while also rescuing us fans from anymore Brent Lillibridge at-bats(he's been DFA'd). Throw in Steve Clevenger's move to the 60-day disabled list and there are your position player updates.

C: Castillo, Navarro

INF: Rizzo, Barney, Castro, Valbuena, Gonzalez, Ransom

OF: Soriano, DeJesus, Schierholtz, Hairston, Sappelt

On the pitching side, Kameron Loe and Kevin Gregg join the team, they'll take the roster spots of Hisanori Takahashi(DFA'd) and Rafael Dolis(optioned). At the going rate, Loe or Gregg will either be closing or on the disabled list by the end of the week.

SP: Samardzija, Jackson, Wood, Villanueva, Feldman

RP: Camp, Russell, Marmol, Loe, Gregg, Bowden, Rondon

Barney gets the start tonight versus lefty Derek Holland, with Travis Wood taking the mound for the Cubs. Sappelt 8/Castro 6/Rizzo 3/Soriano 7/Hairston 9/Castillo 2/Barney 4/Gonzalez 5/Wood 1 are your starting 9.

Comments

SUPER BOWL!!!!

In the twitter box you'll see, that Gregg thinks he'll get a chance to close.

2013 cubs...rent the excitement.

Over Marmol's dead body
...would he then qualify for the 60day DL?

Not that it matters.

It will be interesting to see who goes when Q-J Fujikawa is ready to return. Not that it matters.

as much as people don't like gregg...i'm not holding out much hope for k.loe...more like no hope.

sure it's "only" a million bucks, but i dunno why they even wanted a piece of that.

Not saying I'll miss Lil'Britches, but who the hell plays first if Rizzo goes down?

..not that it matters.

I was gonna guess Schierholtz, but to my surprise he has all of 1 minor league game under his belt at that position. I thought he played some with the Giants. Otherwise I'm guessing Derrek Lee :)

Maybe one of the catchers....

The type of player they're signing--high-mileage jack of all trades, master of none--is likely to have spent time at first base.

At least I had no trouble locating fifty-odd games at first, equally divided between majors and minors, for Ransom.

Alberto Gonzales played some first at Washington and SD.

because of the crappy weather, questionable condition of some seats, and mega-low attendance at the NYM/COL game they told fans to sit where they wanted to and just move to another seat if someone says you're in their seat. it doesn't seem applicable for the mega-premium seats behind home plate, but whatever...still nice.

I understand the Rangers forfeited once they saw the new Cubs roster.

k.gregg, k.loe, c.ransom...this is the serious run cubs fans have been waiting for and other teams have been fearing.

most exciting jed hoyer press conference ever...this is a game changer.

in news that may mean a win, Garza tweeted that he's starting a rehab assignment with Kane County soon....

slated for 2 innings on Friday, essentially starting spring training...figure that's 3-4 weeks before he's major league ready

• crunch 1 hour 39 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 1 hour 40 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

crunch 1 hour 54 min ago view
  • Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 2 hours 13 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 2 hours 36 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 45 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 12 hours 54 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

crunch 13 hours 44 sec ago view
  • I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 13 hours 13 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.