Fitch Park Was Land of the Giants Today
Hector Mercedes roped a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 6th and Randy Ortiz tripled and singled, scored two runs, and stole a base, leading one squad of Giants to a 9-3 victory on Field #2, and Cristian Otero smacked a two-run triple, singled twice, and scored three runs, Alberto Robles drove-in two runs with an RBI double and an RBI single, and Ryan Jones doubled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the other squad of Giants to a 9-2 victory on Field #3, as the Cubs were swept in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht (two-run triple and a walk), Jacob Rogers (solo HR), Shawon Dunston Jr (single, triple, and a run scored), and Jose Dore (RBI triple and a run scored) provided what Cub offense there was.
Here are the box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, 5-3)
2. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-4 FC, 6-3, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, K)
5. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, F-9, 3B, R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-6, K, 5-3, R)
7. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, BB, 2 RBI)
8. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (17 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (22 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 39 pitches (27 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (4)
1. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (dropped throw after 5-4 FC allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
3. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 3B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, 4-3)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 5-3, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, K, R, RBI)
7. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-4 FC, BB)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, F-9)
9. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-7)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Daniel Adrian: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Adrian's inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: (1)
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (three-base fielding error on line single allowed batter to circle the bases and score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 70's
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.
Eh, I read it as tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek. VEB seems to have good heads on their shoulders.