Fitch Park Was Land of the Giants Today
Hector Mercedes roped a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 6th and Randy Ortiz tripled and singled, scored two runs, and stole a base, leading one squad of Giants to a 9-3 victory on Field #2, and Cristian Otero smacked a two-run triple, singled twice, and scored three runs, Alberto Robles drove-in two runs with an RBI double and an RBI single, and Ryan Jones doubled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the other squad of Giants to a 9-2 victory on Field #3, as the Cubs were swept in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht (two-run triple and a walk), Jacob Rogers (solo HR), Shawon Dunston Jr (single, triple, and a run scored), and Jose Dore (RBI triple and a run scored) provided what Cub offense there was.
Here are the box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, 5-3)
2. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-4 FC, 6-3, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, K)
5. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, F-9, 3B, R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-6, K, 5-3, R)
7. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, BB, 2 RBI)
8. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (17 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (22 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 39 pitches (27 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (4)
1. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (dropped throw after 5-4 FC allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
3. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 3B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, 4-3)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 5-3, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, K, R, RBI)
7. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-4 FC, BB)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, F-9)
9. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-7)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Daniel Adrian: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Adrian's inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: (1)
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (three-base fielding error on line single allowed batter to circle the bases and score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.