Giants Throw One-Hitter at Cubs En Route to DH Sweep at Indian School Park
John Polonius (two RBI doubles) and Shilo McCall (a three-run HR and an RBI FC) knocked-in four runs a piece, leading the Giants to an 11-2 victory over the Cubs on Field #1, and Steven Neff and three relievers combined to toss a one-hit shutout, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 2-0 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
RHP Guillermo Moscoso got the start for the Cubs on Field #2, and threw four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts. He allowed four hits (all singles) and did not issue any walks. He was a strike-throwing machine today (46 pitches - 38 strikes). I would think he will likely be in the Iowa starting rotation by the end of the month.
Kevin Encarnacion singled, doubled, and walked, and scored a run for the Cubs squad on Field #1.
In EXST roster news, RHP David Cales has been promoted to Daytona, and LHP Matt Iannazzo has been moved up to Kane County.
Here are the 2013 EXST stats for Cales and Iannazzo:
DAVID CALES: 5.40 ERA & 1.40 WHIP - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 8 K (5 G)
MATT IANNAZZO: 0.00 ERA & 0.33 WHIP - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K (2 G)
Cales spent the 2012 season rehabbing from 2011 shoulder surgery, and the 5'8 side-armin' Iannazzo was signed as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) out of U. of Pittsburgh last June.
Here are the box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (L-4, F-8, K)
2. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-2 (1B, 2B, BB, R)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R)
4. Jose Dore, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 2B, K)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
6. Francisco Sanchez, 2B: 0-2 (HBP, 1-3, K, RBI)
7. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-3 (1B, L-8, P-6, RBI)
8a. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8)
8b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (5-3, 1-3, 3-U)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 9 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 WP, 44 pitches (27 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (2)
1. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Reggie Golden, CF: 0-2 (E-3, BB, P-3, PO)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-3 (K, 3-1, P-6)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, K, K)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, DH: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 6-3)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (6-4 FC, F-8)
8a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
8b. Brad Zapenas, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Guillermo Moscoso: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (38 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (30 strikes), 4/1 GO/GO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Gleyber also in the picture at second.
Losing the right way
Be sure to read this fine article about Yosh and Nobe Kawano.
He is a hyperactive dynamo on the field, a protypical lead-off hitter who is looking to get on base any way he can, a triple machine (if there is such a thing) when he does make solid contact, a daring baserunner who goes berserk once he is on base, and a CF who plays a "no fear" crash & burn style of defense.
Guys like that sometimes get injured more-often than the average player, but if he can stay healthy and continue to progress, I believe he will be an MLB CF, or at worst a 4th OF.
Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?
Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!
I hope he continues improving.
They picked up 3 games this last week.
I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.
Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.
The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.
Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent
chased a high fastball...
I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950
Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.