Giants Throw One-Hitter at Cubs En Route to DH Sweep at Indian School Park
John Polonius (two RBI doubles) and Shilo McCall (a three-run HR and an RBI FC) knocked-in four runs a piece, leading the Giants to an 11-2 victory over the Cubs on Field #1, and Steven Neff and three relievers combined to toss a one-hit shutout, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 2-0 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
RHP Guillermo Moscoso got the start for the Cubs on Field #2, and threw four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts. He allowed four hits (all singles) and did not issue any walks. He was a strike-throwing machine today (46 pitches - 38 strikes). I would think he will likely be in the Iowa starting rotation by the end of the month.
Kevin Encarnacion singled, doubled, and walked, and scored a run for the Cubs squad on Field #1.
In EXST roster news, RHP David Cales has been promoted to Daytona, and LHP Matt Iannazzo has been moved up to Kane County.
Here are the 2013 EXST stats for Cales and Iannazzo:
DAVID CALES: 5.40 ERA & 1.40 WHIP - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 8 K (5 G)
MATT IANNAZZO: 0.00 ERA & 0.33 WHIP - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K (2 G)
Cales spent the 2012 season rehabbing from 2011 shoulder surgery, and the 5'8 side-armin' Iannazzo was signed as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) out of U. of Pittsburgh last June.
Here are the box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (L-4, F-8, K)
2. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-2 (1B, 2B, BB, R)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R)
4. Jose Dore, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 2B, K)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
6. Francisco Sanchez, 2B: 0-2 (HBP, 1-3, K, RBI)
7. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-3 (1B, L-8, P-6, RBI)
8a. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8)
8b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (5-3, 1-3, 3-U)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 9 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 WP, 44 pitches (27 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (2)
1. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Reggie Golden, CF: 0-2 (E-3, BB, P-3, PO)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-3 (K, 3-1, P-6)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, K, K)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, DH: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 6-3)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (6-4 FC, F-8)
8a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
8b. Brad Zapenas, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Guillermo Moscoso: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (38 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (30 strikes), 4/1 GO/GO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Indians extend their streak.
Darwin Barney gets tagged with the loss.
delayed until 7:20 -EST- (tarp off the field)...
d.barney strands j.lake at 2nd in the bottom 18 for the
cubsbluejays...to the 19th!
-cubs game has begun-
Wow. The site actually loaded without an error! Happy 4th all, and Go Cubs!
Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.
Thanks for the reporting Phil.
He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.
Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.
I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.
The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable