Giants Throw One-Hitter at Cubs En Route to DH Sweep at Indian School Park
John Polonius (two RBI doubles) and Shilo McCall (a three-run HR and an RBI FC) knocked-in four runs a piece, leading the Giants to an 11-2 victory over the Cubs on Field #1, and Steven Neff and three relievers combined to toss a one-hit shutout, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 2-0 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
RHP Guillermo Moscoso got the start for the Cubs on Field #2, and threw four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts. He allowed four hits (all singles) and did not issue any walks. He was a strike-throwing machine today (46 pitches - 38 strikes). I would think he will likely be in the Iowa starting rotation by the end of the month.
Kevin Encarnacion singled, doubled, and walked, and scored a run for the Cubs squad on Field #1.
In EXST roster news, RHP David Cales has been promoted to Daytona, and LHP Matt Iannazzo has been moved up to Kane County.
Here are the 2013 EXST stats for Cales and Iannazzo:
DAVID CALES: 5.40 ERA & 1.40 WHIP - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 8 K (5 G)
MATT IANNAZZO: 0.00 ERA & 0.33 WHIP - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K (2 G)
Cales spent the 2012 season rehabbing from 2011 shoulder surgery, and the 5'8 side-armin' Iannazzo was signed as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) out of U. of Pittsburgh last June.
Here are the box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (L-4, F-8, K)
2. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-2 (1B, 2B, BB, R)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R)
4. Jose Dore, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 2B, K)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
6. Francisco Sanchez, 2B: 0-2 (HBP, 1-3, K, RBI)
7. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-3 (1B, L-8, P-6, RBI)
8a. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8)
8b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (5-3, 1-3, 3-U)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 9 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 WP, 44 pitches (27 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (2)
1. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Reggie Golden, CF: 0-2 (E-3, BB, P-3, PO)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-3 (K, 3-1, P-6)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, K, K)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, DH: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 6-3)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (6-4 FC, F-8)
8a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
8b. Brad Zapenas, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Guillermo Moscoso: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (38 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (30 strikes), 4/1 GO/GO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Classic ending, about 12:11 AM, CST. 5 hours, 3 minutes. Both teams have bases loaded, no out situations in the last inning.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?
Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:
- 2014: 2.5
- 2015: 1.0
- 2016: 2.6
But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.