Sveum gets tossed

What do you call this stretch of time in Chicago Cubs' history anyway?
(I'm talking about the team playing in the Major League ballparks, of course.)
Is it The Intermission?
Growing Pains?
The 105th Year Stretch?
Even though most of us kind of shrug through these games, it's nice to see some kind of emotion displayed once in awhile.
Which was why I was so happy to watch an animated Dale Sveum run out of the dugout and argue for his pitcher.
You know, some things can get me off the couch and rattle the house with some yelling - the Rizzo homer that could have hit Murphy's, a Castro crazy-range play at short, and last night a good old fashioned tossing of the manager.
Felt good.
Made me wonder what it'll feel like when the Cubs are contenders.
When a 2-2 pitch to Ryan Braun in an April game may actually ladder up to something more meaningful than an evening's entertainment.
This game started off so rotten even Len said Samardzija musta got up on the wrong side of the bed, but then it got pretty watchable.
The insanity of Jean Segura's stealing second and then (the ump explained) technically stealing first made a definite memory.
And I found myself lost in the game and really caring when suddenly Kevin Gregg came in and, you know...you go oh yeah, this is just a halftime show or something.
But I'll keep watching and painting.
Sveum looks like kind of a bad-ass doesn't he?
You can't argue balls and strikes, Dale, but you can pracitce at it.
And one day maybe you'll LaRussa some ump into giving your team a break when it counts.

Comments

cool

When we look back on this time, I think it will be called "The Empty Promise". Theo's Red Sox team imploded just as he was leaving town, he has never rebuilt a team from scratch, the Red Sox only won when their 3-4 hiiters were juiced -- but we're supposed to believe this guy is smarter than all other GMs and will lead the Cubs to prosperity. Whoops, excuse me, Rizzo just struck out again.

speaking of rizzo...SD is starting the reliever-to-starter transition for cashner a little ahead of expected schedule.

4ip 2h 1bb 5k (2er) 65 pitches, tonight

You might be right billy...I hope not, but you might be. I will say that under Epstein, they did draft:
David Murphy
Justin Masterson
Daniel Bard
Josh Reddick
Will Middlebrooks
Casey Kelly
Ryan Lavarnway
All who've seen some time in the majors. If Hendry had a draft record like that, he'd still be the GM.

• video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

• from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

• great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

• If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?

Craig A. 8 hours 13 min ago view
  • #Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.

Fun with FIP

• J. Hammel   3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
    • J. Arrieta     2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
    • J. Lester     2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
    • K. Hendricks  2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
    • J. Lackey     3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
  • zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k

he's great when his control is "on"...problem is it's rarely "on" consistently. he could vault up the cubs prospect list if he ever gets better with that aspect of his game.

• JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.

My second thought was what you came up with. My first thought was he was trying to light a fire under Hammel.

Jackstraw 10 hours 30 min ago view
  • Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...

• joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1

not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.

really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.

• Russell and Soler can attest that Urias has a pretty good curve/slider - two big strikeouts looking to get out of that jam in the first.

Eric S 11 hours 36 min ago view
  • Classic Scully - great stuff.

Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)

Eric S 16 hours 27 min ago view
  • Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:

"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 41 min ago view
  • When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 44 min ago view
  • If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.

Jackstraw 19 hours 3 min ago view
  • cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.

crunch 1 day 2 hours ago view