Giants Throw One-Hitter at Cubs En Route to DH Sweep at Indian School Park
John Polonius (two RBI doubles) and Shilo McCall (a three-run HR and an RBI FC) knocked-in four runs a piece, leading the Giants to an 11-2 victory over the Cubs on Field #1, and Steven Neff and three relievers combined to toss a one-hit shutout, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 2-0 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
RHP Guillermo Moscoso got the start for the Cubs on Field #2, and threw four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts. He allowed four hits (all singles) and did not issue any walks. He was a strike-throwing machine today (46 pitches - 38 strikes). I would think he will likely be in the Iowa starting rotation by the end of the month.
Kevin Encarnacion singled, doubled, and walked, and scored a run for the Cubs squad on Field #1.
In EXST roster news, RHP David Cales has been promoted to Daytona, and LHP Matt Iannazzo has been moved up to Kane County.
Here are the 2013 EXST stats for Cales and Iannazzo:
DAVID CALES: 5.40 ERA & 1.40 WHIP - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 8 K (5 G)
MATT IANNAZZO: 0.00 ERA & 0.33 WHIP - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K (2 G)
Cales spent the 2012 season rehabbing from 2011 shoulder surgery, and the 5'8 side-armin' Iannazzo was signed as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) out of U. of Pittsburgh last June.
Here are the box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (L-4, F-8, K)
2. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-2 (1B, 2B, BB, R)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R)
4. Jose Dore, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 2B, K)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
6. Francisco Sanchez, 2B: 0-2 (HBP, 1-3, K, RBI)
7. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-3 (1B, L-8, P-6, RBI)
8a. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8)
8b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (5-3, 1-3, 3-U)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 9 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 WP, 44 pitches (27 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (2)
1. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 3B Jose Dore - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Reggie Golden, CF: 0-2 (E-3, BB, P-3, PO)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-3 (K, 3-1, P-6)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, F-7)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, K, K)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, DH: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 6-3)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (6-4 FC, F-8)
8a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (1-3)
8b. Brad Zapenas, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Guillermo Moscoso: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 PO, 46 pitches (38 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (30 strikes), 4/1 GO/GO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?