Cubs & D'backs Split Two at Talking Stick
Josh Conway, Erick Leal, and Carlos Martinez combined to throw a three-hitter, retiring the last ten men a row, and David Bote drilled an RBI single to tie the game and Jacob Rogers followed one out later with a sacrifice fly to give the Cubs the lead, as one squad of Cubs rallied for two runs in the 5th and held on to edge one squad of Diamondbacks 2-1 on Whirlwind Field, and Carter Bell blasted a three-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd and Josh Parr singled and tripled and scored two runs, leading the other squad of D'backs to a 7-1 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Jackrabbit Field, as the two squads split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Former Cubs minor leaguer Michael Brenly (released during Minor League Camp) was the catcher for the Diamondbacks squad on Whirlwind Field, and he went 0-3 (K, F-7, K).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 3-U, 3B)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-3)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-8, SB)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, P-2)
6. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (K)
8. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-2 (1-3, 1B, R, SB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
10. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 39 pitches (29 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 35 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 5
1. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner on 3rd base to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
4. SS Frandy de la Rosa - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF-DH: 2-4 (3-U, 1B, 1B, K)
2. David Bote, 3B-SS: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-9, 6-4-3 DP, P-6, 1B)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B-3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-7 SF, K, RBI)
5. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, F-8)
6a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (HBP, F-8)
6b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Lance Rymel, DH-1B: 0-3 (5-3, 5-3, K)
8. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, R)
9a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R)
9b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS
1. Josh Conway: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 5 K, 53 pitches (32 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - doubled-runner off 1st base 9-3 after line-out
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League game, but there was a 4-1/2 inning intrasquad game played at FITCH PARK FIELD #3 yesterday (Monday) morning.
RHP Dillon Maples threw 3.1 IP of one-hit ball, retiring the last ten men he faced in a row.
Trevor Gretzky fisted a two-run double down the LF line to spark a four-run 3rd for Squad "A."
LHP Andrew McKirahan (2012 TJS) walked off the mound in obvious pain in the bottom of the 3rd inning after facing one batter (seven-pitch walk). He didn't wait for the trainer or manager to come to the mound, he just headed straight for the clubhouse.
Here is the box score from that game:
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (2B, K, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 1-3, R, SB)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, BB, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 0-2 (F-8, BB, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
7. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
8. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1-3, 2B)
SQUAD "A" LINEUP
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-1 (5-3, 1-3 SH)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH: 0-1 (6-3, BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, SB)
5. David Bote, 3B: 0-1 (P-2, BB)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (P-2, F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E-5)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, 1-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Andrew McKirahan: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 7 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Dayan Diaz: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 48 pitches (30 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 41 pitches (24 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Anthony Prieto: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was continued for one extra out to allow Prieto to throw more pitches, then game was stopped
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
Yeah, but he kills lefties.
wow...instant hardcore rain.
it was massive...hit off the bottom of the LF scoreboard.
Projected at 461 ft, with a 108 mph exit velocity - longest Cub HR this year by 20 ft (I think Arrieta had the longest?)
this team is full of horrible walkup music...rizzo uses 'marky mark and the funky bunch' more than he should...which is any at all.
d.ross uses alphaville 'forever young' because lulz.
lastella was using (still might be) 'oh what a night' by the four seasons.
turrible turrible stuff.
cubs lead 1-5, bottom 4.
Just noticed that Baez's current walk-up song is "Informer" by Snow. Dear God. That's world class bad.
Hey Lester is left handed!
Probably a good idea to give Rizz a couple of days off (slumps happen to the best -- Harper just broke a 4-for-33 with a HR yesterday). Never been a big fan of an all-RH lineup. The pitcher has the same look and same target for every hitter. At least, as a mediocre HS pitcher, facing a mixture of LH/RH hitters messed me up. A lack of talent and weak-ass stuff may have also been contributing factors.
Would you say Brooks doesn't have any upside going forward? Seems like he could be one of those hybrid starter reliever types maddon seems to like having in his bullpen. But I haven't seen a ton of him, and he got hit around pretty good last year in mlb
I've been wracking my brain to work a "Room With a View" reference in there but I just haven't gotten it to work.
Bryant might be playing SS during an infield shift, no? Usually he is moved to 2B but it could happen.
I won't really be happy until I see Bryant at shortstop.
Yeah, Underwood impresses the internet scouts more than the opposing hitters. Blackburn and Williams have pitched well but they would be more interesting if they missed more bats.
Myrtle Beach has a couple of guys--Trevor Clifton and Jake Stinnett--worth keeping an eye on.
South Bend has the best record in the Midwest League but it's more about their bats than their starting pitching.