Cubs & D'backs Split Two at Talking Stick
Josh Conway, Erick Leal, and Carlos Martinez combined to throw a three-hitter, retiring the last ten men a row, and David Bote drilled an RBI single to tie the game and Jacob Rogers followed one out later with a sacrifice fly to give the Cubs the lead, as one squad of Cubs rallied for two runs in the 5th and held on to edge one squad of Diamondbacks 2-1 on Whirlwind Field, and Carter Bell blasted a three-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd and Josh Parr singled and tripled and scored two runs, leading the other squad of D'backs to a 7-1 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Jackrabbit Field, as the two squads split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Former Cubs minor leaguer Michael Brenly (released during Minor League Camp) was the catcher for the Diamondbacks squad on Whirlwind Field, and he went 0-3 (K, F-7, K).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 3-U, 3B)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-3)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-8, SB)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, P-2)
6. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (K)
8. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-2 (1-3, 1B, R, SB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
10. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 39 pitches (29 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 35 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 5
1. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner on 3rd base to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
4. SS Frandy de la Rosa - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF-DH: 2-4 (3-U, 1B, 1B, K)
2. David Bote, 3B-SS: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-9, 6-4-3 DP, P-6, 1B)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B-3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-7 SF, K, RBI)
5. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, F-8)
6a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (HBP, F-8)
6b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Lance Rymel, DH-1B: 0-3 (5-3, 5-3, K)
8. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, R)
9a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R)
9b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS
1. Josh Conway: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 5 K, 53 pitches (32 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - doubled-runner off 1st base 9-3 after line-out
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League game, but there was a 4-1/2 inning intrasquad game played at FITCH PARK FIELD #3 yesterday (Monday) morning.
RHP Dillon Maples threw 3.1 IP of one-hit ball, retiring the last ten men he faced in a row.
Trevor Gretzky fisted a two-run double down the LF line to spark a four-run 3rd for Squad "A."
LHP Andrew McKirahan (2012 TJS) walked off the mound in obvious pain in the bottom of the 3rd inning after facing one batter (seven-pitch walk). He didn't wait for the trainer or manager to come to the mound, he just headed straight for the clubhouse.
Here is the box score from that game:
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (2B, K, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 1-3, R, SB)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, BB, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 0-2 (F-8, BB, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
7. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
8. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1-3, 2B)
SQUAD "A" LINEUP
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-1 (5-3, 1-3 SH)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH: 0-1 (6-3, BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, SB)
5. David Bote, 3B: 0-1 (P-2, BB)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (P-2, F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E-5)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, 1-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Andrew McKirahan: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 7 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Dayan Diaz: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 48 pitches (30 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 41 pitches (24 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Anthony Prieto: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was continued for one extra out to allow Prieto to throw more pitches, then game was stopped
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.
They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.
but then d.ross wouldn't have someone to pitch around him or IBB him to put him on base...it's almost moot...almost...not really...but almost...kinda...
just checked...7 IBB last year...hard to tell how many times he was pitched around, but even assuming it's 0 that brings his ob% to below .230 with a sub-.500 OPS.
the intro to the all-star game would take an hour longer just to announce the team...awesome.
Think how much more valuable Lester contract looks if he doesn't ever have to do that mockery of hitting thing he does!
TV schedule is out:
It's irritating that it's so difficult to watch Cub games.
The NL should just go ahead and out-DH the AL.