Rockies Stone Cubs with Long Ball Bonanza
Jaron Shepherd and Correlle Prime smacked solo home runs to highlight a three-run 1st inning, 2012 1st round pick David Dahl blasted a two-run HR to key a three-run 4th, Jared Simon singled, tripled, walked twice, and scored two runs, and Jeff Popick singled twice, doubled, and drove-in a run, leading the Rockies to an 8-2 victory over the Cubs in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 (formerly known as "Field #3") in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht drilled a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the 2nd inning and Trevor Gretzky crushed a 420+ ft solo HR over the right-centerfield fence with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to account for the two Cub runs.
The defensive play of the day was a run-saving diving catch of a sinking line-drive by Rashad Crawford in short CF.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, P-6, SB)
1b. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-1 (2B)
2. Justin Marra, DH #1: 0-2 (K, BB, F-7, BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, P-4, L-8)
4a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (4-3, BB)
4b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (K, P-6)
5. Carlos Escobar, DH #2: 1-4 (2B, K, K, P-3, R)
6a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (5-3, K)
6b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, RBI)
7. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (K, K, P-2, K)
8. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 1-3 (1B, L-9, 1-3, RBI)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, PO)
10. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 6-4 FC, K)
1. Paul Blackburn: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 53 pitches (28 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 43 pitches (20 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 4th inning was stopped with two outs when Hoffner reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4, Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 33 pitches (23 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error with two outs allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score from 3rd)
2. C Erick Castillo - E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base allowed baserunner to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. RF Garrett Schlecht - batter thrown out 9-4-5 trying to strectch double into triple
2. RF Garrett Schlecht - batter thrown out 9-4 trying to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Outfielder Chris Young signs "multiyear" contract w BoSox.
Wow, Dombrowski is a buffoon
Not sure I understand the logic, especially for more than one year.
well, that's the past. we're left with the present. even though that past you're seeing is some weird black/white either/or where hybridization of ideas isn't allowed...nonetheless...
the present is ice skating, movies, concerts, beer gardens, hotels, office space and other wonderful baseball activities based around a young, successful baseball team.
All money making ventures, which would have been offset with a reasonable TV contract that previous ownership screwed up
Nah, I'll probably just contemplate how they should've done a Padres-style all-in plan.
of course not. maybe go ice skating and think about it a while. make advanced reservations at the hotel they're starting construction on. check new releases for possible entertainment from the movie screens they want installed. think about renting an office in the new office spaces. write a letter to the cubs requesting your favorite beer be added to the beer garden. lobby your favorite band to play the outdoor venue.
...and in between that maybe they can find $40-50m to invest in the product that all of this revolves around.
let's not get caught up on phrasing for a setup and lose the gist of the post. i don't care what one wants to call the playoff exit.
+they lost their playoff attempt
there. now we can focus on something other than not liking the tone of a line that's setting up a point.
I didn't like the entire post, if that helps.
Making the NLCS with a young team = "crapping out of the playoffs with a young team."
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!
Blew my prediction! I had them signing Zimmerman and trading for another arm.
Damn wanted Zimmermann