Rockies Stone Cubs with Long Ball Bonanza
Jaron Shepherd and Correlle Prime smacked solo home runs to highlight a three-run 1st inning, 2012 1st round pick David Dahl blasted a two-run HR to key a three-run 4th, Jared Simon singled, tripled, walked twice, and scored two runs, and Jeff Popick singled twice, doubled, and drove-in a run, leading the Rockies to an 8-2 victory over the Cubs in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 (formerly known as "Field #3") in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht drilled a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the 2nd inning and Trevor Gretzky crushed a 420+ ft solo HR over the right-centerfield fence with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to account for the two Cub runs.
The defensive play of the day was a run-saving diving catch of a sinking line-drive by Rashad Crawford in short CF.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, P-6, SB)
1b. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-1 (2B)
2. Justin Marra, DH #1: 0-2 (K, BB, F-7, BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, P-4, L-8)
4a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (4-3, BB)
4b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (K, P-6)
5. Carlos Escobar, DH #2: 1-4 (2B, K, K, P-3, R)
6a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (5-3, K)
6b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, RBI)
7. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (K, K, P-2, K)
8. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 1-3 (1B, L-9, 1-3, RBI)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, PO)
10. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 6-4 FC, K)
1. Paul Blackburn: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 53 pitches (28 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 43 pitches (20 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 4th inning was stopped with two outs when Hoffner reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4, Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 33 pitches (23 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error with two outs allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score from 3rd)
2. C Erick Castillo - E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base allowed baserunner to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. RF Garrett Schlecht - batter thrown out 9-4-5 trying to strectch double into triple
2. RF Garrett Schlecht - batter thrown out 9-4 trying to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.