Cubs Bats Wake Up & Decide to Whip Giants
Brad Zapenas (2012 shoulder surgery rehab) doubled, tripled, drove-in three runs, and scored two more, Jeffrey Baez ripped a two-run double, singled, walked twice, and scored a run, and Rashad Crawford hammered a bases-loaded three-run triple, leading one squad of Cubs to a 13-7 victory over one squad of Giants on Field #3 (formerly known as Field #2), and Rony Rodriguez belted a bases-loaded three-run double, singled, and scored a run, and Justin Marra laced a two-run double, walked, and scored twice, as the other squad of Cubs defeated the other squad of Giants 7-4 on Field #4 (formerly known as Field #3), in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played Tuesday morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #3 was called after five innings because the Giants and Cubs ran out of available pitchers (and also because it took about three hours to play the five innings and the Giants bus was ready to leave for Scottsdale).
Cubs 2010 2nd round pick Reggie Golden, who came into the game in an 0-20 skid and hitting just 045/276/091 (his only hit was a double on EXST Opening Day three weeks ago last Monday), belted an RBI double high off the CF Batter's Eye ("Green Monster") in the bottom of the 1st inning on Field #3. Golden missed most of the 2012 season after suffering two torn knee ligaments in a game at Peoria last April, and he has really struggled to get into any kind of a groove. Although he has been in a deep slump, he still somehow manages to draw a lot of walks (in fact he leads the team in BB).
Two Cubs pitchers suffered injuries in the doubleheader. RHSP Erick Leal (who was sailing along with a one-hitter on Field #4) sustained what appeared to be a right ankle injury prior to the start of the 4th inning and was subsequently helped to a golf cart and driven to the clubhouse, and just a few minutes later RHRP Daniel Adrian landed awkwardly on his left leg while tagging out a runner trying to score from 3rd base on a WP on Field #3 (the runner was out, and it was a really nifty play by Adrian, too) and was on the ground for several minutes before being carried off the field and transported to the clubhouse via golf cart. Adrian's injury did not look too good.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 3B-1B Josh Vitters has completed his rehab assignment and has returned toi the Iowa Cubs. He looked really good out here, hitting 444/636/444 with two doubles in 12 PA. He also made a super diving catch on the third-base line to save a double. Vitters was on the I-Cubs DL with a back problem, and before that he missed most of MLB Spring Training nursing a strained quad.
Ex-Oakland A's RHSP Guillermo Moscoso (claimed off waivers from Tornoto last month and then outrighted to the minors) has also been moved up to Iowa. He gave up five hits, did not allow a run, and struck out eight with no walks (and threw 76% strikes) in two Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (6.0 IP), and he struck out ten (with no walks) over five innings in an intrasquad game played at Fitch Park last Thursday (where he was stretched-out to 74 pitches, in what turned out to be his last EXST game outing).
Here are the abridged box scores from Tuesday's games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (3-U, 3B, K, F-7, 3 RBI)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-2 (1B+E5, BB, BB, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
3a. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-2 (2B, BB, 4-3, R, RBI)
3b. Yasiel Balaguert, PH: 0-1 (1-3)
4. Carlos Escobar, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, K)
5. David Bote, SS-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-7, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, 2 R)
8. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 2-3 (3B, 2B, 4-6 FC, 2 R, 3 RBI, CS)
9. Erick Castillo, C: 1-1 (1B, BB, HBP, 2 R, RBI)
10a. Lance Rymel, DH #2: 1-1 (1B, R)
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, PH-SS: 1-2 (1B, K, 2 RBI)
11a. Roberto Caro, DH #3: 0-0 (BB, BB, R)
11b. Alberto Mineo, PH: 1-1 (1B, R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 50 pitches (34 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Daniel Adrian: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 16 pitches (6 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of 4th inning was stopped with two outs after Adrian suffered knee injury covering home plate on WP
3. Juan Francisco: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 42 pitches (19 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS:
Carlos Escobar: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K-DP, F-9, PO)
2. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (3-U, 2B, BB, K, 2 R, 2 RBI)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (F-9, 1B+E7, L-7, E-7)
4. Jose Dore, RF: 0-3 (3-U, K, BB, F-7, R)
5. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-2 (K, K, HBP, R)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, K)
7. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B, R, 3 RBI, CS)
8. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-3 (E-4, K+WP, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
9. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (1B, P-5, F-8, R)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 36 pitches (25 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Dayan Diaz: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Loiger Padron: 1.2 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (22 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of 7th inning was stopped with two outs when Padron reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the game
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3B Jesse Hodges -E-5 (throwing error trying to double runner off 1st base after catching line drive allowed runner at 3rd to score unearned run)
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with tempratures in the 90's
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.